Anyone planing a ride in the snow?

My son had his first BMX race yesterday. (1st, 2nd and 2nd :) )...but he was gutted as the finals were cancelled because of the snow.

Snowball fights were the order of the day. I need one of those jackets with a heating element inside. I had more layers on than when we were skiing in -16 in Finland but I was frozen to the core.

It was 1 - 2 degrees all day.

On his way to his maiden victory :)

P1010614-4.jpg

...He wouldn't stop riding

P1010631.jpg

Congrats to your son on the win, Crell!

I just rode into work on my bmx today in the snow. It was so much fun. I am really happy as we don't normally get snow here.

Excellent!!!!!!!!

i was at work for an hour when i got a call to say the school is close, it was all the excuse i needed :D

Attachments

• DSC00198.JPG
    DSC00198.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,025
Haevy snow here at the moment - Ross and the Forest of Dean disappearing under a white blanket. Took the car part way to work then rode in a few miles a few miles on the road to Hereford and back earlier.

Working from home this pm but maybe when I can declare work over for today I might venture out!

Hehe thanks.

Yes I was incredibly proud :D, and he loves it. I don't think he's worked out yet that if he pedalled more he'd go a lot quicker :LOL: .

Less sure about the chip off the old block. I never won anything on a bike so he's already better than me - plus I find it very easy to stop riding :).

That was at Bulwell in Nottingham. Considering the conditions there were over 90 riders. The standard of some of the riders was pretty incredible, I really do need to get a BMX I think and learn to manual.

However, even he says I have to sell some bikes before I can have a new one. :roll:

Congrats to your wee fella on his racing,can we have a close up on his bike ,im interested to see what the youth of today is racing on.
I like the colour coordination,getting into the ano bling early on :cool:

As to to coldness-
Boots-you're going to need 3/4" min thick sole as if your feet are chilled the rest of you feels cold too,especially if your standing about for a couple of hours..winter snow boots are a good choice-Trezeta is an ok make ,not too expensive

Bod-A Buffalo shirt worn directly next to the skin is the best first layer,some thin wool long sleeves then fleece and Gore outer

If you are really cold and you can afford it ,a mountain hardwear absolute zero down parka is about the best there is.when your out in winter it doesnt matter how atrocious the snow is, you will be warmer than everyone else around you :LOL:
They make mittens too ,they're only £90 :LOL:

The ano bling might be his dad's influence, though he insisted on red gear to go with it :)

In fairness it's exactly as it comes out of the box. I did my research and the Flight is about the best off the peg racer. I beleive it weighs in at about 14.5 lbs compared to most Junior bikes at 16-17, good geometry (it varies!).

I'll take some pics but it's well specced - AC, SUN, Tektro ( oh well ignore that one). It's even got tioga comp 3s!

There were some tiny kids there yesterday on bikes costing a grand + !

As for the cold, It's mostly down to being on Dad duty and not doing much bar fetch and carry stuff all day.
I had a t shirt & hoodie, a really nice Haglofs Barrier (I really love this), and a Mountain Hardwear soft shell. OK the first two layers aren't exactly good but the others are.

My biggest problem was I didn't take a hat! Snow goggles would have came in handy as well. I'll be better prepared next time. I can see it now me in my snow gear and it'll be 30 degrees +

Got out for a spin at lunchtime in the New Forest...pic at Linford Brook.

Attachments

• snow Linford brook 2.JPG
    snow Linford brook 2.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 497
Back