Anyone admit to owning just one bike ?

Bicycles are usually limited to a certain use, from there it follows that you own more than one. But I have made do with one or two bicycles for years. If I had to make that choice now, I would try to make one bicycle as versatile a road bike as possible. I am thinking of a light touring bicycle, that could be used for centuries, tours and groceries all the same. My second one would be an off road bicycle, becasue I feel that this is much more of a special discipline. Either could be classics or one or no.

Last edited:
I have one bike (pretty much), I might use the other once a year if that. It’s an Audax style bike with 2.5 wheel sets. Works quite well and I generally only use the one set of wheels, the comfy ones. I like it, gives the opportunity to perfect, plus more time riding less time maintaining.

I have 1 retro mtb... That's it.

Oh, and a modern mtb....

And then a road bike ...

So I guess that's 3, just 1 from each "genre" 😉

First I'd like to congratulate the OP on his efforts to downsize his life, a challenging endeavour in our consumer society! (Voluntarily) Having less opens many doors like easier moving, quicker packing, less cleaning and maintaining...

As already said, no need to go from 4 to 1 bikes in one go. Get rid first of the easier one, and revisit after a while. You might have a clearer view of which one should be next to go.

Something that has helped me a lot to minimise is what I once read somewhere of treating eBay and the likes as my "stuff" cloud. Same as we now don't own CDs but listen to YouTube or Spotify, I don't need to own a snowboard or a tent. If I ever need them, I can rent them for that occasion or buy a used one and sell afterwards.

Once my then girlfriend was coming for a week and we wanted to do a tour. I bought a used bike in the local classifieds, did our tour, and sold the bike for the same money 2 weeks later. No need for a guest bike in my micro apartment....

Back