Anyone know what year Kona Caldera this is?

SackofHammers

Dirt Disciple
Hello everyone!

I'm new to the site and just built up a 1995 StumpJumper M2 Team bike and I'm looking for a nice bike for my son to ride with me off road. I found a Kona Caldera for sale, but it's an aluminum frame and I thought these were steel framed bikes in the 90's so I'm a little stumped.

Does anyone know what year this Caldera might be so I can try to get more info on it? The owner doesn't know much and it's a bit of a drive for us for me to get eyes on it. I'd like to know about what it should be built up with before I go look at it.

Thanks for any info!

Attachments

• Kona Caldera.jpg
    Kona Caldera.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 839
now the size?

Thanks coomber,

Do you know if Kona put a size decal on the frames? I think I'll go take a look at it.

Re:

Not back then I dont think. It looks like a 18" or 19"

I want a 2000 Kona in 20". Great year. I'd do anything for a 2000 muni mula in green. Great bike.

This looks pretty tidy

Re:

Have any idea what the effective top tube length would be on the 18" size?

I'm having him measure the Effective TTL for me. I'd wager it's a 19" with the head tube as tall as it is.

If it's an 18" (which I don't think it is) the effective TTL is 23 inches (according to the catalogue) on a 19" it's 23.5 inches.

I'm not sure and it might be the ludicrous length on the seatpost but it seems bigger than a 19", I think it might be a 20", so the TTL would be 24 inches.

Hope this helps.

Re:

I'm guessing it's a 20" (or larger?).

The owner just got back to me and said it's 24 1/4" TTL on the level. Measured like this:

effective_top_tube_length.png

Back