Any idea what year my Marin Team Titanium was born please?

Re: Any idea what year my Marin Team Titanium was born pleas

Thanks for all your efforts Doug!

Yes - very doubtful someone has polished it themselves, I agree.

I was hoping that 'Benandemu' would join in at some point...maybe after work? Not everyone's unemployed like me, sitting around on Retrobike all day.

I recon its a 93 frame with later 95 decals and that day they had run out of metal headtube badges! :LOL:

What size is it? I'm on the look for one at the moment...

Doug

unemployed eh?...you better sell the frame to raise some cash then! ;)

This defo looks like the frame given the matt finish to the lugs.

Attachments

• marin 93.jpg
    marin 93.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 390

Yes - thank you WookieDoug!

Just been looking at that link and I think you're right - can't see how it could be anything else but a '93 unless they used the same frame for multiple years.

It's a 17.5", but, as I said earlier - I love this frame and will probably be buried with it.

This is actually VERY good news as 'Gil_m' told me he couldn't reproduce the 1995 decals because of the silver-grey shadowing being very tricky. If it should have had the more retro ones then maybe it could have a new set after all.

The only slight niggle I have with it are the bottle cage bosses. Don't know if this type are called 'inserts' or what, but a couple of them out of the four tend to just spin around inside the frame when trying to tighten the bolts up. Wonder if I could get them replaced by a professional titanium engineers? Probably not worth the expense though as I don't even use any bottle cages - it's just annoying.

1993 with later decals.
They started blasting the weld areas to relieve stress at those points. This is the only year that part blasting was done. They also did the same part blasting with Ti bar/stem combos too.

Show me the rear dropouts to confirm further, and whether it's the last of the Litespeed built ones.

The nuts where the bottle cage bolts go are called riv-nuts and a decent frame builder or engineer will be able to replace them. Funny because one of mine in the '93 does the same, and only on that bike is it a problem!

There we go then problem solved in record quick time!

Not quite - the dropouts will confirm.

The '92 used fluorescent yellow decals, and the '93 used black. My money is on late '93 as it's utilising an externally reinforced head tube.

Mine is the next in line for rebuilding after the FRS. It's already got very early Nuke proof Ti hubs, and a very clean M900 group. But saving the best until last, a NOS Marin Ti bar/stem combo. Let me dig out a picture...

An old one of where the head and top tube meet the head...

mistermonkeywrench":nb2p2n33 said:
Hello all,

I've had this frame since 2000. Bought un-new from 'Recycle Bicycle Co.' in Anerley, South London - sadly long gone now.

After contacting Marin, they replied saying that they THOUGHT it looked like a '95 and emailed a spec sheet for that year.
So, ever since then I kind of just accepted it as being '95.

But, after now seeing many other definitely-'95 models and owning one for a short time, there are many differences...

The finish on mine is 'silky' and has a polished sheen to it. Also, at the ends of the tubes where they join the finish changes to being more matte.

Mine has a headtube decal and not a pressed aluminium badge.

The gear cable stops are on the down tube and not the headtube - as I've read they typically are on all 'Team' models.

Main decals are different to all the '95 ones I've seen.

I love this frame but would like to know if anyone has any idea of which year it may be - if not '95?
Thank you for any help,
Andrew.

A beautiful frame.... Their best year!!!!

I stupidly let one of these pass me by that was for sale on allthingsbikes early last year because i couldn't afford it at the time, and that was after Alex reduced the price. Regretted it ever since. :facepalm:

If you change your mind and fancy a swap for a slightly newer one let me know... Failing that, let me know where your burial plot is likely to be. :twisted: :LOL:

Rich

Thanks everyone,

Will post a pic of rear dropouts tomorrow as I can't stand orange-tinted photos taken under artificial light, and a flash wouldn't do the shiny metal any favours.

Hope it does turn out to be a '93 - not too sure about fluorescent yellow. But then again, it would match my Maguras.

Back