Any canoeists here then ?

Been away but here now :)
And that canoe is beautiful, very, very nice.
I have a magazine that I bought one time in Canada, and it has a picture of a canoe very similar to this I suppose and its on a lake, lovely sunny winters day. That picture just sums up why I love my canoe, sonmething to aspire to I suppose as my Old Town is just a Royalex (plastic) model. The article is about a custom maker, I will try and dig it out.
Also, excuse my ignorance but what is Bubinga?
Sounds like something Tony Soprano would say just after he shot you ;)

Jamie

I wondered what happened to you when you didnt jump on this thread, being right up you particular alley.

Fella does cedar of canoes, all planed and thicknessed so you really just need to come up with the frame or support ribs. Then a matter of laying each strip and jointing it to the next.

Ive a last one pic showing the construction. Not the best angle and a bit more 1/2 way through would have been better to see how the canoeist laid on each strip.
But very interesting all the same and the finished article certainly speaks for itself.

Bubinga- West African hardwood.Pretty sought after.
Hideously expensive as the basic straight grained stuff is about 4 or 5 times the cost of Grade A1 Oak
Highly figured logs that produce patterens like 'Waterfall' i just cant look at as theyre too beautiful. I'd end up spending every penny i have on that type of exotic :facepalm:
Called Africa Rosewood though its false and not part of the rosewood species.

The main ones are
Plain-Quite straight grained.
Figured- A nice swirly reddy purple with streaks of purple from the resins and gums
Waterfall- highly figured is a geometric-esqu pattern.
My timber is straight grained with some heavy figured timber on the edge of the board(towards the tree center).
Trees can suffer from splitting internally during drying, or from tensions set up internally which are released when the tree is felled. This can then effectively 'shatter' the inside

Attachments

• bubinga-top.jpg
    bubinga-top.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 484
  • DSC_0192 (Custom).JPG
    DSC_0192 (Custom).JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 484
I'm a plywood and flat chine, and if it floats, good enough type.

I love the look of those planked canoes, but I couldn't bring myself to allow such pretty things bash against rocks etc. :)

Back