Another idiotic driver

Re:

That Youtube clip is exactly what happened to me about 15 years ago on my motorbike, drivers just not being aware of what is going on right in front of them.
If I were that cyclist then perhaps I would have been a little more cautious on theat stretch of road, the car sticking out of the junction just before would have got my spidey-sense tingling.
Having said that, the car did swing across in front pretty quickly, one of those "will they?, won't they?.... shiiiiiiit!!!!" moments.

All you can do is be alert to what others are doing, and hope you have the reactions and the brakes to avoid an accident if you see one headed your way.

While I don't blame the cyclist in anyway, again I feel their reaction was rather slow. As soon as I see the car in the position it is I assume the driver is focussing on finding a gap to fire out into, and feel the danger. The car has clearly crept forward as I approach so at that point I am on the anchors.

Re:

I don’t see any “defensive" Cycling” taking place.
When I’m cycling and see a car waiting at a side road I “always” assume the car hasn’t seen me.
I slow down, get ready with the brakes and make myself as visible to the car as I possibly can.
(Dare I say it) So far my strategy has served me well.

At this point, the thread normally jumps the shark and turns to point the finger on the innocent party, based on the notion that some feel their cycling standards are superior.

Consider this... if the video footage of this accident taken from inside the car that pulled into the cyclist's path, would we still be as willing to find fault with the cyclist?

Sure, some are defensive drivers and cyclists, and we just have to take their word for it, that they wouldn't get caught out like this, but all the same, whilst recognising hazards and mitigating circumstances is no doubt of commensurate value, all the same, I've never witnessed anybody cycling with so superior skills, that they would be able to avoid all the accidents I see... like that other example, where the Golf just swerved into a cyclist head on. Even if you were so highly skilled you stopped in time, rarely would people be able to bail out of the way in time, given the driver either hadn't seen the cyclist, or didn't care.

It's one thing to talk about defensive behaviour on the road - which I applaud - but it shouldn't be used as a stick to beat somebody who, in any sense of adjudicating the incidents, and certainly if they weren't cyclists but actually driving cars instead, in the same circumstances, wouldn't be considered as at fault from an official perspective.

At some subtle point, the roles have been reversed, and the discussion has veered off to blaming the victim, as if the driver is just some force of nature that can't be questioned.

Re:

To clarify, I was referring to the second video.
The driver pulled out in the front of the cyclist having “presumably” not seen the cyclist.
I do all I can to stay as safe as possible when cycling on the road as I don’t want to be killed.
Any suggestions on how to stay safe whilst cycling on the road, I’m all ears.
Give up cycling!!

Re:

The 'what could we have done differently' is an important part of learning.

What benefit is there is in examining these videos otherwise?

They serve as a springboard to discussion that is entirely valid and nothing like 'jumping the shark'.

Of course the drivers in both instances are fully culpable, but we are seeing both incidents from the cyclists' view and that naturally leads us to speculate on their reaction to oncoming hazards.

Re: Re:

highlandsflyer":cp1w538s said:
The 'what could we have done differently' is an important part of learning.

What benefit is there is in examining these videos otherwise?

They serve as a springboard to discussion that is entirely valid and nothing like 'jumping the shark'.

Of course the drivers in both instances are fully culpable, but we are seeing both incidents from the cyclists' view and that naturally leads us to speculate on their reaction to oncoming hazards.
I get the what could have been done differently and yes, I get that the video with cars edging out would certainly set off alarm bells for me.

All the same, unless at every hint of a hazard, people slow down to walking pace, or even stop, in many circumstances it's pissing in the wind. The video with Merv the swerve, in the nicked Golf, even if he'd have stopped dead, it would have likely still driven into him.

And after a while, people seem to lose perspective on who was really at fault. Mitigation for your own safety is one thing, but sometimes the debate almost becomes apologistic for the drivers, and hand waves their culpability away, whilst seeking to scrutinise the presence of mind in the cyclists.

And yes, the footage is all from the cyclists perspective - true enough - but riddle me this, were we viewing footage from in car in both these incidents, from the "guilty" parties' perspective, do you think it would look any less damning of them? Or possibly more so?

Back