Another idiotic driver

Re: Re:

widowmaker":3k8q809r said:
As cyclists we have to expect the worst from drivers :(
I have been using that principle since 1975, when I got my first moped, and ever since on every single motorbike I've owned.

Re:

Unfortunately, most drivers seem to expect cyclists to be approaching at much slower speeds. I have encountered this many times when I was at my fitter level and hammering it around. I think you are increasingly likely to be approaching drivers who have only one eye on the road as they monitor their sat navs, etc.

I don't know what the long term answer is, but I always ride defensively to the point I feel I am lessening the risks as much as possible.

I have been dismayed by the behaviour of some road riders I have come across lately, taking riding defensively to another place that is more like aggression, and attempting to 'control', and even antagonise, other traffic.

Met a loon this afternoon. Was bimbling along in me pick up, minding me own biz. Coming th other way is a family on bicycles and behind them, coming up fast, is some old wrinkly in a Shitruin C3. He overtakes the bicycles just as I myself and drawing level, and had to brake furiously so as not to smear himself over the front of my truck. He then sat there stopped on the wrong side of the road gesticulating furiously at me. I know just enough sign language to know he was questioning my parental lineage.

I just sat there staring at him, let him get it out his system. The cyclists then pass, he then backs up and returns to the correct side of the road and continues.

Apart from having the driving skills of the Ebola virus, I wonder what will happen when he one day starts having a pop at someone with the Kenneth Noye gene?

Re:

That's a very common situation when I am riding my horse, as some drivers just seem to make a decision to overtake, regardless of what is going on around them and what traffic may be coming in the opposite direction. The number of times we have to wave a 'thank you' to someone on the opposite side of the road, who has stopped in order to avoid a head on collision with some myopic or arogant moron is beyond counting.

In addition, you get the 'followers', the cars that follow a car making a safe overtake, despite the fact that the window to safely overtake has now been slammed firmly shut, I just sit there and wince.

Needless to say, I ride as little as possible on the road, but it is unfortunately the only way to get from our paddocks up to the nearest bridleways.

Chopper1192":1qmchgrs said:
I wonder what will happen when he one day starts having a pop at someone with the Kenneth Noye gene?

This is exactly why I don't road rage at people even though it can be very hard work not to sometimes.

NeilM":1tld3k4s said:
That's a very common situation when I am riding my horse, as some drivers just seem to make a decision to overtake, regardless of what is going on around them and what traffic may be coming in the opposite direction. The number of times we have to wave a 'thank you' to someone on the opposite side of the road, who has stopped in order to avoid a head on collision with some myopic or arogant moron is beyond counting.

In addition, you get the 'followers', the cars that follow a car making a safe overtake, despite the fact that the window to safely overtake has now been slammed firmly shut, I just sit there and wince.

Needless to say, I ride as little as possible on the road, but it is unfortunately the only way to get from our paddocks up to the nearest bridleways.

So not only do you want to put your own life at risk, you want to risk the life of your horse, you are just cruel, and heartless, why do you risk the life of your animal by putting your trust in the ignorant motorist?

Dick Turpin would think twice about riding a horse on the highway in 2014.

superstar1":11yfwptm said:
So not only do you want to put your own life at risk, you want to risk the life of your horse, you are just cruel, and heartless, why do you risk the life of your animal by putting your trust in the ignorant motorist?

Dick Turpin would think twice about riding a horse on the highway in 2014.
WTF?

In what way am I risking my horses life?

If we're being picky it's actually the car driving chumps endangering Neils horse, rather than Neil himself.

I always slow down for horses in order to maximise the jodphur oggling opportunity.

Re:

Chopper, you are welcome to ogle my jodhpurs any time you like. :mrgreen:

Great time of year the summer, all the girlie riders wear vest tops. :shock:

Back