Another french classic : 1938 Narcisse

Re:

again I have been sidetracked !

But I don't believe you will mind :facepalm:

I have started another project - 1950 randonneuse - unkown framemaker - hellenic seatstays - will do a proper post in due time but the wheels are nice . relaced the front one
Modified Maxi car hubs :cool:

Re: Re:

bduc61":3oxatadc said:
again I have been sidetracked !

But I don't believe you will mind :facepalm:

Hi Bruno,
Sidetracked yes, but no one will find fault with that, but please post a photo of what you have found as a preview, it is a truly amazing bike :D .

: Mike

Re:

Other than the felt seals and the associated bits and pieces the bottom bracket arrangement is very reminiscent of a Viscount BB that I removed a few years ago. Rather than having a seal arrangement the Viscount BB spindle was a press fit and held in place with a couple of circlips, with these removed the BB spindle could be pushed out leaving the sealed bearings in the shell. There was no shoulder on the spindle and so it could be pushed right through the bearings and removed. That wasn’t quite as easy as it sounds as I couldn’t shift the spindle with a hammer and had to fabricate a press using a couple of lengths of heavy steel channel and some studding that I had in the garage, but once set up it moved quite easily. I then drove out the bearings using a brass drift. Unfortunately I didn’t reassemble the BB as original but used a YST threadless BB. All that said, if it were me I would err on the side of caution and not strip down the bottom bracket unless it needed it; if it could be cleaned and lubricated in situ, then I would do that.

Interesting project by the way and a lovely machine.

Re:

It has been a long time !

well - still work in progress but it is nearing completion :LOL:

The grime of 75 years on the brakes has been cleaned and it was no easy task :roll:

and these brakes - The Speedy - are amazing - probably the second existing cantilever brakes ( after the 1936 Barra ones), mostly dural ( even the bolt for the pad holder is dural) and they weigh 134g for a pair

they go on specific bosses

The Stronglight headset was in quite poor condition but luckily I had a NOS Stronglight period headset to replace it.

To replace the headset, I undid the fork and discovered a nice information. :cool:

Remember the stem is actually a sort of semi headset one with a regular threaded headset but is fixed to a unthreaded fork tube part above the threaded part.

The unknown frame tubing is actually Reynolds HM butted ( 16/13)

the period 1936/1938 is actually the time where the Reynolds 531 came to replace "marketing wise" the HM but in France, it is not clear when exactly and how. (I will expand further on that)

Because of some parts poor condition due to oxydation, the stem and crankset have been sanded down, polished and rechromed.
They were quite oxydized so still show some wear as the surface could not be "mirror polished". But they ar now decent looking

The non period bar has been replaced by a very rare Caminade Randonneur model I had the luck to undo from the prewar bike

The brake levers were planned to be some prewar "Le Grimpeur" ones , unfortunately, they are too narrow for the bar , so I replaced them with LAM super dural levers . But I have difficulties to make sure they were produced before the war.

Pedals are Tank ones ( The original Lyotard ones need a renovation)

Present weight is 8.9kg ( save freewheel, chain and brake sheaths) : not bad :cool:

Next part to come is a nice pair of very rare Le Paon fenders in 700 size.

Thanks for the update, lots going on and it's definitely coming together.
The time and effort to bring this back is huge but it is looking amazing and is a very special machine worthy of the attention to detail.
Hats off to you for such a dedicated build and your attention to detail.
I am really enjoying this thread as it's the rich history you present with the build as it progress's that makes every part special. Always look forward to reading about your builds.

Jamie

Back