Another french classic : 1938 Narcisse

Sapim Laser come in 300mm length and are 2.0mm to 1.5mm to 2.0mm. Ahead stem in 1938 well that I never knew about.

Lovely bike.

A real beauty!

bm0p700f":4eel6d40 said:
Ahead stem in 1938 well that I never knew about.
It's not quite an A-head stem. The steerer is threaded and the headset is conventional, with a separate locknut. The stem clamps to a small diameter quill that's brazed into the steerer. You sometimes see the same arrangement in early mountain bikes.

http://mombat.org/85FisherBars.JPG

Re:

Thanks foor the info - Will check on that setup :idea:
I was actually wondering if the steerer could have been threaded lower for the locknut, then machined on the upper part for the stem.
But truly I should not have used the term as the stem does not "block" the fork pivot.

I wonder how much weight il allows to save and why quite a few high end builders fancied that setup :?:

Hi bduc61,
You do the most interesting projects and this one is most special. I am following with great Interest.

: Mike

Re:

First cleaning

Poor paint touchups certainly present, but I'll do with it !

noticeable
pretty thin seatstays
cantilever plots really unusual and much nicer than the later mafac ones

next job - undo the headset and bottom bracket and this one certainly won't be easy - I have got plenty of tools but will need a superfine key to block the first nut and undo the blocking nut :shock:
Don't know if I will be able to find a front derailleur I could use on the original brazed support :(

Just a thought: if you would put the driveside crank on - use that as a lever to block the BB axle - undo the first nut.

creindesign":2jgkcntc said:
Just a thought: if you would put the driveside crank on - use that as a lever to block the BB axle - undo the first nut.
True :idea:

But I am a tool nut ! So I ordered a 24mm flat key to supplement mine which is too thick :mrgreen:

That will definitely help putting it back together :) Don't we all love tools!
Really like the Narcisse!
Collecting parts to put a 30's Dawes Club back on the road - having difficulty to find a proper headset I am now toying with the idea to use an old Ahead instead of a headclip.

Re:

"Speedy" cantilever ( its their name !) are rare and very light

but with more than 75 years of dirt, its a pain in the neck to clean ! :roll:

more than an hour and a half of work ( and petrol hardly does help - dirt is too hard and dry so only delicate scrapping with a knife does it )

Back