Amber Walls

Definitely looked better. The only sidewall failure I ever had was on both tyres on a pair of kevlar Onza Rip/Rails. At the same time! My first ever pair of all-black tyres. They weren't cheap either. Switched straight back to filthy Panaracers.

I wish I'd bought every pair of amber-walled tyres in my local bikeshop about fifteen years ago. I could retire tomorrow.

As I recall then black tyres were much cooler than amberwall in 1994... :D

Then amberwalls were only available on Halfords specials - and the rest was history.

When did blackwalls first appear? I remember buying blackwall Porcs the first time I clapped eyes on them and putting them on my Saracen which I'm sure I retired to the garage in 1992-93.

russ77":4s9b8we4 said:
Definitely looked better. The only sidewall failure I ever had was on both tyres on a pair of kevlar Onza Rip/Rails. At the same time! My first ever pair of all-black tyres. They weren't cheap either. Switched straight back to filthy Panaracers.

I wish I'd bought every pair of amber-walled tyres in my local bikeshop about fifteen years ago. I could retire tomorrow.

those rip & rails were famous for destroying themselves regardless of sidewall colour. the knobblies used to rip off the carcus under had braking & cornering!

Black wall tyres are retro too, unless your bike is from the 80s. My 91 Kona came with black wall Maximum/Reaction tyres.

I remember then being big in summer 1992 in the USA.

I used to love Rip / Rail - they were about the only tyres that didn't clog in the chalky clay mud on the North Downs.

hamster":16449c99 said:
I remember then being big in summer 1992 in the USA.

I used to love Rip / Rail - they were about the only tyres that didn't clog in the chalky clay mud on the North Downs.

I like my Rail on the front. Very good cornering.

Back