Vote: Which 26” tyres would you like reissued ? 🛞

Which retro tyres would you like reissued today ?

• Total voters
To be honest I’m amazed Panaracer still make the smoke/darts as I can’t imagine it makes them much profit as they simply won’t sell enough
Panaracer as a Japanese company carved out their niche by hanging on to something old as long as it makes them some money. That´s the Nitto way. And they do it for others too, the Rene Herse ones are made by Panaracer. As the Smoke/Dart are sold out quite often, there seems to be demand. So much so that several other companies do offer new 26" skinwall tires (Schwalbe, Conti, Vee Tire, the Alibaba Chinese ones, Rene Herse, Mars, RiderT1 and the cheapo ones mentoined in the other thread ...).

My guess is that the other bigger brands are just so focused on the next best thing and profit margin that they just don´t care about some old tires, it´s just not in their culture. But the Japanese don´t let things die that work & sell. The last new car for sale with a factory tape deck was a 2010 Lexus (Japan only). 2010!

And if the niche is deemed too small for other players, Ritchey, Spec et al should just see it as marketing outlay. Marketing which targets people with money. People who pay 300 bucks for NOS Onzas or 100 for a new hipster tire. And it would not be unheard of to re- issue old designs. For example Michelin and Vredestein have 60ies car tires on offer and they do look exactly the same as original ones. I bet they don´t make much money on these ones either.

So there, rant ranted and I´m off for a pizza before I yell at some clouds.

To be honest I’m amazed Panaracer still make the smoke/darts as I can’t imagine it makes them much profit as they simply won’t sell enough
And the ones they do sell probably only cover 50 dry miles a year, so will probably last another 25years! Yeah, not a great business model 😅

Panaracer as a Japanese company carved out their niche by hanging on to something old as long as it makes them some money. That´s the Nitto way. And they do it for others too, the Rene Herse ones are made by Panaracer. As the Smoke/Dart are sold out quite often, there seems to be demand. So much so that several other companies do offer new 26" skinwall tires (Schwalbe, Conti, Vee Tire, the Alibaba Chinese ones, Rene Herse, Mars, RiderT1 and the cheapo ones mentoined in the other thread ...).

My guess is that the other bigger brands are just so focused on the next best thing and profit margin that they just don´t care about some old tires, it´s just not in their culture. But the Japanese don´t let things die that work & sell. The last new car for sale with a factory tape deck was a 2010 Lexus (Japan only). 2010!

And if the niche is deemed too small for other players, Ritchey, Spec et al should just see it as marketing outlay. Marketing which targets people with money. People who pay 300 bucks for NOS Onzas or 100 for a new hipster tire. And it would not be unheard of to re- issue old designs. For example Michelin and Vredestein have 60ies car tires on offer and they do look exactly the same as original ones. I bet they don´t make much money on these ones either.

So there, rant ranted and I´m off for a pizza before I yell at some clouds.
Conti’s added

now up to 23 different tyre option requests for circa 60 voters from 1,000 viewers 🙈

amazes me why more people don’t bother voting. If we had 1000 votes for a couple of tyres manufactures might then listen.

I think this thread illustrates why its not of interest to the manufacturers. Even us purists in here would only generate purchases of about 2 to 3 hundred pairs of tyres total, but that is split across about 25 preferred types so a mere handful per brand.
I've managed to reconcile using Smoke and Dart re-issues for my modern rides - it's what I used back in the day and is far from a compromise.

Latest posts

Back