Alves 531 Fillet Brazed

Exactly. The blue bike is a cx with skinny tyres and wider canti. Yours (well mine today) will be running more than 35mm I presume and normal mtb Sizes. Will be tight I think.

Re: Re:

Dale cannon":18uprq1k said:
widowmaker":18uprq1k said:
I am more than a little jealous, I was seriously considering this, but I am in the process of a purge of bikes too so couldn't justify having another MTB.

I went for the Roberts instead ;)

I was a little gutted about the Roberts, it's probably the only frameset that I would swap on of my current ones for. If you ever have to let it go please give me a shout!

I will do :)

What colour code is this Alves ?

And what gear changers are you going to use ?

The History Man":1bec7fhr said:
Exactly. The blue bike is a cx with skinny tyres and wider canti. Yours (well mine today) will be running more than 35mm I presume and normal mtb Sizes. Will be tight I think.

True, I'll have a look when I get it and see what works best.

Re: Re:

widowmaker":3vikagcp said:
What colour code is this Alves ?

And what gear changers are you going to use ?

Not sure of the colour code, I had my Raleigh painted a similar looking by Brian Rourke and it was called wild fire red.

It will be running as a single speed to start with. Not sure of gearing yet, I run 52x19 on my road bike in a pretty hilly area so maybe 46x18 to start with and adjust from there.

Re:

This should be a fun build. I think it will work well as an all roader but make sure you get the gearing right so you can get it moving, as that's when the tubing really starts to work.

I have a canti hanger like the one you showed fitted to my Arthur Caygill and it works fine.

When I built up 'our' Rourke, I used modern cx canti's and they worked brilliantly, much better than either 90's stuff or V brakes.

Thanks for the info Neil. The front brake set up on your Caygill is exactly what I had in mind.

I always miss the Rourke but the toptube was too long and the headtube was too short so hopefully this will be a worthy successor.

Back