Advice on modernising a 90s Marin

8/9/10 will be 35mm.

Uniglide is the pre runner to hyperglide.

Uniglide was locked on by the smallest cog being threaded.....hence the threads.

Hyperglide.....ie modern.....has a locking ring.

If it was me before you go charging out to buy either new spindle or freehub body, i would first strip the spindle out and check the condition of the non drive side bearing race. You cant replace that in the hub......its game over if its knackered.

No point in going any further with that hub if the race is pitted or worn out.

As the freehub was poor, its a possibility the hub has had the same miss treatment.

Im sure @FluffyChicken will be able to point you to the shimano technical diagram for your hub.

Its worth checking as obviously someone has been in fiddling! You may have more spacing problems if its been put back together with washers in the wrong place!

Im sure @FluffyChicken will be able to point you to the shimano technical diagram for your hub.

Its worth checking as obviously someone has been in fiddling! You may have more spacing problems if its been put back together with washers in the wrong place!
I think this is what it is supposed to be. At this point I’m just going to try and get my money back as it was sold as an 8/9/10 speed and what I got was a 6/7 speed with a spindle that has been lopped off. Not worth me trying to completely rebuild it haha I’ll just get a whole new wheel.Thanks for all your help again.

It not lopped off*, just setup for a 130mm (old 80s MTB or more common in a Road dropout spacing)

*unless you can see the cut

Finally finished this bike and took it out for its maiden voyage today. Started out as an Eldridge grade ended up an orange clockwork 😆 . Thanks for all your help , I learnt a lot, hopefully the next one won’t be such a struggle! Pretty happy with the build only thing I think I’m going to change is the forks for something slightly shorter , I bought a 1995 Eldridge grade with 2001 marzocchi bombers fitted for £40 today so as long as they work ok I’ll probably put those on . Here’s some pictures before and at the half way pub stop

80512BE4-536F-4F61-AD96-41EFA91A9080.jpeg
05185139-FE34-45E6-B603-4615FA8F0037.jpeg

Back