Advice on modernising a 90s Marin

Will that 1x10 fit free wheel ? Thought it would be too big
Turns out the axle of the rear wheel I bought from eBay is too short. A problem I wasn’t expecting 😆 . Is there a standard length for wheel axles? The spacing of the bike is 135mm and the axle thread seems to be about 139.5mm…so it’s barely hanging on . I tried a few other 26inch (7speed cassette) rear wheels on the bike and they all fitted fine. Have I been sold something weird??

Last edited:
135mm spacing is 146mm spindle ( its not an axle...sorry engineers pedantry.....bottom brackets have an axle)....to give you 5.5mm each side to hang on the frame.....if its quick release.......solid much more.

In practice you can get away with less, as its the clamping force that holds the wheel...( think about if you tilt the wheel in the frame to get it dead central..its no longer resting at the top of the drop out)....... however, it makes it much harder to fit and removes the "saftey blanket" should your qr not be as tight as it should be or the never actually ever happened• event of a quick release being knocked undone by a leaf!

• to me or anybody i know....except the bloke who knew a bloke down the pub...it happened to his brother last week and he was killed, but us ok now and back at work.

135mm spacing is 146mm spindle ( its not an axle...sorry engineers pedantry.....bottom brackets have an axle)....to give you 5.5mm each side to hang on the frame.....if its quick release.......solid much more.

In practice you can get away with less, as its the clamping force that holds the wheel...( think about if you tilt the wheel in the frame to get it dead central..its no longer resting at the top of the drop out)....... however, it makes it much harder to fit and removes the "saftey blanket" should your qr not be as tight as it should be or the never actually ever happened• event of a quick release being knocked undone by a leaf!

• to me or anybody i know....except the bloke who knew a bloke down the pub...it happened to his brother last week and he was killed, but us ok now and back at work.
No need to apologise , I want to learn! I think this spindle may be too short for me to use on this bike, it is literally only just able to sit in the drop outs , maybe .5mm each side . And when I tried to do up the QR the wheel span very wonky , I think due to the spring on the qr being involved when it shouldn’t. It is a deore LX FH-M570 hub on mavic X517 rim. I didn’t realise I needed to check the spindle length before I bought I just assumed a 26inch mtb wheel would fit. I’m learning by my mistakes , if I can’t get a refund it’ll be yet another thing back on eBay haha

I’m afraid i need some advice again. Is there any reason why a 10 speed cassette won’t fit on a free hub body that it is (in theory) supposed to fit on. I read that you can put a 10 speed cassette on a body that previously had 8 or 9 speed because they are all the same size. Yet when i tried to put a ten speed shimano cassette on, the lock ring wouldn’t reach the thread…am I missing something obvious? It goes on ok without the smallest cog of the cassette

I don’t think fitting a 10 speed to an 8 speed is a given- it may depend on the make and age of the free hub - but I’m no expert

Yeah you may be right. Having measured it though I now think It’s actually just a 7 speed cassette body despite being sold as 8,9,10.
81F2C925-564C-4584-9159-81895B8A1200.jpeg

Thats a 30mm 6/7 speed body. Its quite old skool as it still has threads for uniglide cassettes.

Back