A Shimano-less Overburys Rebuild

Re:

I'm OK, thanks! It would be different if I regularly took the hubs apart but hopefully not now that they have their lovely shiny new bearings! Thanks for the offer though.

Having got the hubs sorted, I then put on the freewheel block. The new cone that I had machined up was slightly too large so when the freewheel went on it rubbed against the cone. I filed it down so I could get the freewheel to fit, and put it all back together.

It was only then that I realised that the freewheel didn't actually spin! At some point over the last 20 years the build up of grunge, rust, etc, had completely seized it all up. Thankfully this meant I didn't need a special tool to remove it, and it just unscrewed quite easily. My choices of replacement were Regina (to go with the Campag) or Suntour (because they're good). The old one was a Sachs-Maillard 12 - 24 block. I never went for the ridiculously low gear ratios: a one-to-one ratio was a low enough bottom gear for me. If I needed lower than that then I may as well get off and walk! But I'm not young and fit any more, so I should probably have an easier bottom gear.

There is a guy currently on ebay who is selling off his old collection of Regina freewheel sprockets and bodies. He has a collection of most different sized sprockets ranging from 12 to 26 teeth, and he'll build it up into a freewheel for £40. Quite cheap, and I was about to go for it when a Suntour powerflo block, 12 - 28, came up on here much cheaper. I went for that one instead. Sorted.

raidan73":1inox3vb said:
Check out the second pic in this thread for the Columbus decal :)

Thanks! Now have to try and track down that sticker...

caemis":1inox3vb said:
Ah, there my PACE RC30 fork goes - nice!

And thanks again! Hopefully the Christmas break will give me enough time to get it sorted.

Next up - brakes.

On the back there is a Suntour Roller Cam and the front had some Dia Compe 986 cantis, with Dia Compe SS-4 levers. Dia Compe were making parts for lots of people, so the first Ritchey Logic cantilevers were re-branded DC 986's and Ritchey's levers look very similar to DC SS-4s.

I saw a review of a Cannondale in around 1990 with their Force 40 brake. At the time I was doing A-level applied maths, learning about forces and pulleys so I liked the way they had managed to get more braking power from a cantilever just by adding in a simple pulley. It means that all the force from the lever goes to the brakes, rather than being split between the two brakes, much like V-brakes. Later models had some kind of cam rocker, but the first ones just had a brass pulley wheel. I can't remember the maths behind it, but it almost doubles the braking force.

I had managed to make something similar at home using a mechano pulley wheel and various bits of discarded brake bits and stuff I had lying around. It didn't last long. I probably didn't make it well enough to be safe, so went back to just using the normal straddle wire. I recently bought one of the rockers made by Tektro, similar to what Pace were using on their forks at the time, it does almost the same job and is a lot safer than my home-made version! When I fitted it, I found that squeezing the brakes would make the rocker bend under the strain, wasting any energy savings. I replaced the rather spindly mounting with a piece of 20mm aluminium tube - no more bending!

And - as Kurtis Blow said - That's The Brakes.

Attachments

• WP_20151007_14_33_19_Pro.jpg
    WP_20151007_14_33_19_Pro.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 689
  • WP_20151212_12_06_45_Pro.jpg
    WP_20151212_12_06_45_Pro.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 689
Looking good with the rollercam :cool:

The Logic canti's were based on the 986/987 and shared some of the mounting hardware but the arms were a different shape ;)

Sorry, been a bit slow recently due to lack of funds. This gives me time to look at it, think about it, imagine it with different components, etc, etc (daydream, basically!)

I would like to get the frame re-sprayed and there have always been two colour schemes that I've had in mind going back to when I was at school. I have done some very rough sketches on Photoshop in the two different designs, with superimposed Pace fork - what do you all think?

First up is this one:

You can probably tell it's based on the Fisher Cr7. Then there was this one:

which is based on the colours that Roberts were using at the end of the 80s. I know they're copies of other bikes, and maybe I should stick with a more 'Overburys' look, but I never liked their blue/yellow fade thing or the purple/black zebra stripes - does anyone have any other ideas for inspiration?

Attachments

• Black Red Yellow Overburys.jpg
    Black Red Yellow Overburys.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 615
  • Pink Blue Overburys.jpg
    Pink Blue Overburys.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 615
Well, the yellow/black/red would have been seen as very 'Fisher' at the time:

FishCompSide.JPG

The purplish pink with blue would be good with more toned down 'Hollywood/Miami' colours, think blueberry/blackcurrant yoghurt and teal (Yeti/Trek) blue or baby blue:

And if possible, fade line sloping from just above the rear brake to a few inches above the fork tips (rather than horizontal). or more simply front/back vertical fade around 1/3 along TT.

All the best,

Attachments

• imgres.jpg
    imgres.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 609
  • images-1.jpg
    images-1.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 609
  • sx20076es.jpg
    sx20076es.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 609
Back