Titanium Repair?

I was giving my trusty old Sandvik era cove hummer a clean up this afternoon (it’s my daily commuter) and was alarmed to see what looks like a hairline crack on the outside of the drive side chainstay, opposite the bridge near the bottom bracket.

I’ve taken a few photos and studied as best I can and I fear it’s not just a deep scratch. Assuming this must be stress/age related as this is probably one of the areas that historically had more of a tough life with proximity to the chain.

It’s been a fabulous workhorse over the years and the welds are still a wonder of craftsmanship so I don’t want to retire if it can be realistically repaired.

Does anyone have any experience or advice to this end? Should I retire to the garage wall or will titanium generally keep going (current issue excepted!)?

Ta

Attachments

• IMG_5065.jpeg
    IMG_5065.jpeg
    374.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5067.jpeg
    IMG_5067.jpeg
    387.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5069.jpeg
    IMG_5069.jpeg
    345.4 KB · Views: 42
Definitely looks like a crack. Possible fixable. Cheap, but somewhat agricultural option would be Vernon Barker:
It will not be pretty, but you might get a bit longer out of it.

In my experience, titanium frames do not make good daily commuters - I've had two fail due to frame cracks at that job. Lovely though they are to ride.

It does look like a crack. To be sure, build up an area around the crack using something they can hold liquid, maybe bathroom sealant, blu tack or something. Fill with something like oil, and see if it drains through the crack or not.

I had a similar issue and it proved it was a crack (well I think in my case a nasty bit of chain suck).

Frame has been with danson for a while now awaiting replacement stays. It is repairable but I think the only way to do it right is replace the stay or even both stays.

That is indeed a nasty crack, and not long to go before it propagates all the way through that tube.🤕
Either repair or retire, not rideable as is.

Back