'96ish Custom Bontrager CX

Okay, so once everything was in place, all cabled-up and finally ready to ride, a disconcerting headset wobble was immediately apparent.

After a frustrating session or two failing to get the preload just right and the Gripnut tight enough, I was about ready to throw in the towel and take it into the shop.

Then a friend spotted the problem right away...

I don't know how I didn't clock it before, but if you look closely at this photo you can see that the diameter of the older No Logo cup is just a fraction wider than that of the modern GripNut top:

View attachment 708714

See the little lip on the left, where the turquoise top meets the silver cup? It was harder to see silver-on-silver, but it was definitely there.

Hardly the end of the world, but frustrating nonetheless. Especially considering all the other little battles I'd endured with this build and then only discovering it once everything else was squared away and finished!

Oh well, a trip to eBay to secure a more modern logo'd version did the trick.

One older headset removed, another slightly less old one pressed in:

View attachment 708715View attachment 708716
View attachment 708718

And that's pretty much the whole bike done.

I'll get around to completing a full spec list eventually, and I'm hoping to have friend shoot a few photos for me on Friday, so will update this thread accordingly if successful.

I've taken a fair few myself on various rides (it's hard not to with this one!) since completing the bike, so may get restless and post some of those in the meantime.

:cool:Love the colour. Would be good to see some pictures of the bike, instead of just parts of it :)

Building suspense involves withholding information and raising key questions that pique readers' curiosity. Character development plays a big role in generating suspense; for example, if a character's desire is not fulfilled by the end of the book, the story will not feel complete for the reader.

Building suspense involves withholding information and raising key questions that pique readers' curiosity. Character development plays a big role in generating suspense; for example, if a character's desire is not fulfilled by the end of the book, the story will not feel complete for the reader.

Now this is my kind of thread content!

Don't forget about my favorite part of build threads. No sarcasm. It makes the whole thread better IMHO.

tangent - a completely different line of thought or action.

Nothing like a good side story about the build.

Don't forget about my favorite part of build threads. No sarcasm. It makes the whole thread better IMHO.

tangent - a completely different line of thought or action.

Nothing like a good side story about the build.

Ha, there's been a few of those already!

I'll try to come up with another couple...

Hey everyone! I assume there is a lot of retro 700c fans here... I have the possibility to buy a set of 4 NOS Panaracer Smoke 700x45c tires. They are coming from US, I need 2 but is anyone interested of 2 more and share shipping and customs? Many thanks

Back