'96ish Custom Bontrager CX

Well that was an enjoyable read. I like a good challenging build, as much as they also make me hurl Allen keys round my shed.
Very much looking forward to seeing the final product.
I'm also very jealous of where you appear to live... I'd imagine it's a lot easier to find cool old bikes and parts than it is in North Yorkshire. I'll have to see about a job relocation!

Well that was an enjoyable read. I like a good challenging build, as much as they also make me hurl Allen keys round my shed.
Very much looking forward to seeing the final product.
I'm also very jealous of where you appear to live... I'd imagine it's a lot easier to find cool old bikes and parts than it is in North Yorkshire. I'll have to see about a job relocation!

Mate, even I'm jealous of where I live!

I feel incredibly grateful every day. Not only for my proximity to areas of such rich MTB and bike-related history, and thus the opportunity to own some pretty amazing and special bikes, but also for the fact that 9 out of every 10 days it's perfect weather here for riding them. And even that 10th day is pretty great!

Moving to my current neighborhood, in the shadow of the mountain, has been a real game-changer for my mental health too.

I couldn't have ever imagined being as lucky as I have been over the past several years (especially off the back of a pretty grim decade-and-a-half spent in New York beforehand), and to have scored some of the bikes I've been able to along the way really is the icing on the stoked cake!

I'm incredibly grateful for the community of brilliant bike-related people I've met here and afar as a result, as well.

Massive big-up's to every single one of you!

Mate, even I'm jealous of where I live!

I feel incredibly grateful every day. Not only for my proximity to areas of such rich MTB and bike-related history, and thus the opportunity to own some pretty amazing and special bikes, but also for the fact that 9 out of every 10 days it's perfect weather here for riding them. And even that 10th day is pretty great!

Moving to my current neighborhood, in the shadow of the mountain, has been a real game-changer for my mental health too.

I couldn't have ever imagined being as lucky as I have been over the past several years (especially off the back of a pretty grim decade-and-a-half spent in New York beforehand), and to have scored some of the bikes I've been able to along the way really is the icing on the stoked cake!

I'm incredibly grateful for the community of brilliant bike-related people I've met here and afar as a result, as well.

Massive big-up's to every single one of you!

I'm impressed with the level of stoke that this post conveys.

California dreaming. If only.

Which mountain do you live under?

I'm hoping I get another work trip out to SC at some point, but might have already cashed those chips on a mega trip back in '19 when me and a few colleagues got an all expenses paid trip, including a 5 night stay in Downieville. Lots of riding with a huge party at the end. Still can't believe that happened...

I'm impressed with the level of stoke that this post conveys.

California dreaming. If only.

Which mountain do you live under?

I'm hoping I get another work trip out to SC at some point, but might have already cashed those chips on a mega trip back in '19 when me and a few colleagues got an all expenses paid trip, including a 5 night stay in Downieville. Lots of riding with a huge party at the end. Still can't believe that happened...

I live on the edge of Pasadena/Altadena, which is east of LA-proper. Altadena is a small foothill town north of downtown Pasadena.

The mountains behind are the San Gabriels, and the one closest to me is Mt. Wilson.

Good walks, good riding, nice views!

tempImageRCQe1P.jpg

I've already posted this elsewhere, so it may as well go here too.

Bit of a sneak peek, without giving too much away.

(Excuse that one longer ferrule tho, please!)

I live on the edge of Pasadena/Altadena, which is east of LA-proper. Altadena is a small foothill town north of downtown Pasadena.

The mountains behind are the San Gabriels, and the one closest to me is Mt. Wilson.

Good walks, good riding, nice views!

View attachment 707826

I've already posted this elsewhere, so it may as well go here too.

Bit of a sneak peek, without giving too much away.

(Excuse that one longer ferrule tho, please!)

That is a stunning cockpit shot.....love those bars.

Okay, so once everything was in place, all cabled-up and finally ready to ride, a disconcerting headset wobble was immediately apparent.

After a frustrating session or two failing to get the preload just right and the Gripnut tight enough, I was about ready to throw in the towel and take it into the shop.

Then a friend spotted the problem right away...

I don't know how I didn't clock it before, but if you look closely at this photo you can see that the diameter of the older No Logo cup is just a fraction wider than that of the modern GripNut top:

tempImageZMCrq8.jpg

See the little lip on the left, where the turquoise top meets the silver cup? It was harder to see silver-on-silver, but it was definitely there.

Hardly the end of the world, but frustrating nonetheless. Especially considering all the other little battles I'd endured with this build and then only discovering it once everything else was squared away and finished!

Oh well, a trip to eBay to secure a more modern logo'd version did the trick.

One older headset removed, another slightly less old one pressed in:

tempImageqTM0oV.png tempImageUUqfsN.png
tempImageeKUg1W.png

And that's pretty much the whole bike done.

I'll get around to completing a full spec list eventually, and I'm hoping to have friend shoot a few photos for me on Friday, so will update this thread accordingly if successful.

I've taken a fair few myself on various rides (it's hard not to with this one!) since completing the bike, so may get restless and post some of those in the meantime.

Last edited:
This is so weird. I heard the lads in the warehouse chatting today about Aldi and how they found one in California the other day on streetview.. I asked what they were on about and my mate said that when he ships something abroad, to somewhere that sounds nice, he likes to have a nosey on streetview.
I thought about where you said you live and I asked where this Aldi was. He said "where would you like it to be?" , I laughed and said "Pasadena". He said, that's funny it's something like that. We looked it up and we shipped a shiny new bicycle frame out to Altadena this week... What are the bloody chances?!

Back