88 Specialized Hardrock

Bicycle Addict

Retro Guru
I have 2 Specialized Hardrock's one 87 the other an 88, the 88 is complete minus wheels and too small for me.
The 88 on the other hand was found in a hedge.
When the hedge was being removed so we could build a fence, the hedge was 8 foot tall and very deep and dense in foliage, cutting the foliage back I found a bike, my friend had lived there 4-6 years at the time and never knew the bike was there.

This thing was messed up, wheels destroyed form corrosion, even the alloy of the rims was beyond repair, the rest of the bike was totaled with rust, the handle bars had snapped on one side under the weight of one of the main branches of the hedge.

Everything was stuck and I mean stuck, except for strangely the fixed cup walked out as i turned the cranks, it took a while to get the cranks off, when I did I was amazed to find the cup,bearings and cage were all one rusty mess. I had to cut the stem to get the fork out to replace the headset, upon which I put in another fork and stem, not original but better than what was there previously.

Any way, i am going to pull apart the 87 to get the 88 going, leaving a pretty good condition frame/fork to move on.

Going to build it Drop bar I think, I have some Suntour bar cons, not too sure about drops, if I do not like them I can always convert to the original Risers.

A pic of the 87,

Attachments

• 323256511.jpg
    323256511.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 350
So I stripped the 87, only to find a crack in the Cain stay as I was checking BB was tight, so it's all over!?

Will put parts onto another frame and call it quits on these too, I can still list the 87 though so that might work out.

Re:

Interesting bike-in-the-hedge ramble. But you can't list the '87. You just said it has a cracked chainstay.

And I'm pretty sure that Hardrock in the picture is an '88. Different decals on the '87.

Yea thanks, could not remember which was which, the 87 is plain green with some plain pinky purple graphics, I took it to the scrapies today.
The above is now completely stripped.
I have what I think is a 89 Rockhopper comp, so parts can go in that.

Back