Mid 1990's Specialized Hardrock/Rockhopper geometry

Aaron76

Dirt Disciple
Hi everyone,
I wonder if somebody can help, I'm really starting to admire mid-90's Specialized mountain bikes - particularly the Rockhopper/Hardrock variety that had no front suspension. I'm struggling however to find geometry on them, I understand the bikes are measured centre to top, but can anybody offer any information on top tube lengths?

Given I'm 5'10" 5'11" - I'm assuming a 19" or 20.5" size is most applicable, but would anyone be able to give me a steer on the top tube length of either size?

Thanks in advance, I've only ever played with Marin's and Saracen's, but keen to get my hands on a tidy Specialized MTB.

Best regards,

Aaron

My 1994 Hardrock in 18" has a 54 CM top tube, so the next size up is probably about a centimetre or so longer. The 1998 Rockhopper and 1996 Stumpies are about 56-57 CM on the 17"/18" sizes, so again, add a centimetre. The 1996 Hardrock Ultra is weird: short top tube but really low front end and Specialized specced it with a tall quill stem, taller than the head tube, presumably to give an easier riding position for newbie riders. The frame on that one is lighter than some of the earlier Stumpies but I find it a difficult bike to recommend (and the stock Acera shifters are grim; give me Gripshift any day of the week).

My 1993 Rockhopper Sport is a 20". It has a 22.5" top tube, so quite short for a large bike. It is perfect for me (I'm 6'0"), but it feels smaller than some of my other bikes of the same size.

19" or 20" should be perfect for you!

I never owned a Hardrock, but I love my Rockhopper, I'd recommend getting one! They look great, ride just as well and are surprisingly light given the fact that they were lower / mid-range bikes.

@CassidyAce is right though, Acera and Altus parts are grim... I swapped everything for Deore LX, much better!

20230711_162554.jpg

Back