2008 Re-issue Zaskars

Welcome pjlarge,
Yeah I'm sure taking a bike like that to the local trail would be like taking Heidi Klum for a walk down the trail wearing a string bikini...if you ever get to the point that you can't handle all the stares and comments look me up. In the mean time you are right and I'd ride the heck out of it. Maybe even have MBUK do a one year "Where's waldo" story on the bike with some ride details. Please post more about the ride. I've read very few ride comments on the re-issue's that have been bought and built up. Thanks for chiming in!

gm1230126":2s3nakpv said:
Welcome pjlarge,
Yeah I'm sure taking a bike like that to the local trail would be like taking Heidi Klum for a walk down the trail wearing a string bikini...if you ever get to the point that you can't handle all the stares and comments look me up. In the mean time you are right and I'd ride the heck out of it. Maybe even have MBUK do a one year "Where's waldo" story on the bike with some ride details. Please post more about the ride. I've read very few ride comments on the re-issue's that have been bought and built up. Thanks for chiming in!

Thanks for the welcome.
I've never ridden an original Zaskar so can't compare it but it's something I'd like to do. The MBUK build is a nice one, I've not messed with it too much yet other than swapping the brake hoses for braided ones which was a necessity as the front one was kinked. The raceface cranks and BB assy have given me some grief too, the bottom bracket they supply is junk, so that needs swapping for one with no lateral play.
I want to make some other changes too, I want rid of the riser bars as I can't get on with them and want to put some straights and bar ends on.

I'll be happier with it once I've spent some time tweaking the things that annoy me. It does feel very slow though after coming off an extremely lightweight carbon road bike :?

I'll take some photos later on and post them up, it's clean-ish at the moment although I do have some of it in a right old state as well :)

hi,
just a few words about all those re-issues one can still buy: a lot of the frames came with defects - steering tubes uneven, badly cut threads, dings, sloppy polishing. As well, the originally advertised weigth wasn`t true.
I was one of the first to order a frame in Germany, even though I knew it reailed for 1/2 price in the US and 2/3 of the price in the UK.
When I received the frame (they actually weren`t even able to confirm a delivery date) after almost 9 months I couldn`t believe my eyes. Never before have I seen such a poorly finished frame (the welds were okay)...
On top, the frames were welded in the US, but then taken to Taiwan for the ballburnishing. The shipping box would come with huge stickers saying "Made In Taiwan". Nice, u pay 1300€ plus shipping and receive a dirty shipping box with a Taiwan sticker.
Funnily, the local GT importer first got mad and neglected all claims, later took a 3 months hide and finally offered a 100-200 euros discount (hello, the frame is crap, I can`t install the damn head set and u offer me a discount????).
I returned the frame to the dealer, who confirmed having huge problems with his contingent, most went back due to quality issues. And, he had a competitor around the corner selling the frames on ebay for 500€ less... and, this dealer had at least a contingent of 12 frames.
No action taken by GT.
Know quite a few people who had similar issues. It is a sad story, but what had the potential to become a really powerful marketing campaign, the rebirth of the dream of 2 entire biker generations turned into a desaster. A few overstocked dealers are still trying to get rid of their inventory, nobody really cares about these re-issues.
So, yes, there is quite some inventory around, no wonder.

Back