1996 Marin Team Titanium (started as a '99 Team Ti frame)

Just a little picture of its current set up. Just done 49 miles on her today and everything's sweet.
The 1.5 Continental tyres are a handful on dry sandy trails, but otherwise nice, fast and secure on the gravel and dirt. I can't believe how far I can lean over with them!
The logoless King headset is a fit-and-forget investment, along with the change in stem to a nice blasted Titanium one with Ti bolts and a Ti stem spacer. A few other Ti bolts have been placed around the bike too.
Bottom bracket bearings and a pedal stripdown are next.

DSC00023.jpg

That looks like a really cool 'rider'... I have got to find me some of those 1.5 tyres - had some BITD and loved them

Dis you ever find out the difference in frames between the ultimate and the team ti? I also think that you should post a picture of all your Marin titanium bikes/frames so I can really hate you :D seriously though it would be good to see all that Ti in one spot

There are some big differences between the components, but the frames are identical. The Ultimate decal simply refers to the build up. I'll do a little comparison when I get time.

I was planning a full photo shoot with them all, but 2 are still in bits!

Re: 1995 Marin Team Titanium (started as a '99 Team Ti frame)

A rebuild had been on the cards for a while. I was unsure what direction to take the build in, but knew I wanted some changes. Then, it occurred to me to add colour; Red, to be precise.
First on the list was to replace the M900 with M950, as that is period correct. I always wanted some of the early 8 speed M950, so the search was on for some shifters, as I had everything else already. The shifters are a funny design as they seem to have backwards in their serviceability v's M900, and Shimano must have realised, as they sorted it out for the 9 speed version 18 months later.
A shorter Titanium axle was needed for my Hope BB (which I luckily had in my spare too), so that it would compliment my planned cranks - Middleburn RS3's. They're not rare cranks, but when you're looking for a non faded Red spider, and clean arms, then the order becomes complicated!
The headset was swapped for another logoless King one, but this time it was Red.
The Control Tech seatpost found a new home and was replaced with a Titanium one.
Last on the list were the wheels, and I was pretty specific about what I wanted here too. These took a bit of searching as I wanted a Pace front with Red caps, a Red Hope TiGlide rear, and Ceramic X517's in Black (not the more common Grey). I used the super light DT Revolution spokes and Red alloy Araya nipples to build them. These are actually the first wheels I've built using proper tools and a jig, rather than the old frames/forks and yogurt pot plastic taped on as guides! Maxxis Flyweight tubes and Titanium skewers finish them off. The tyres aren't really my number one choice, I simply had them spare in the cave. I don't mind them, but can't think of what I really want.
Whilst weight wasn't a goal as such, I'm always conscious about what components I choose. I weighed the bike as it is there, and it comes in at a fairly respectable 22.3lb. I find that bikes become a bit too light and skittish when you go below 22lb, so I'm happy being just over.
I did actually exercise quite a bit of restraint with the amount of Red I added in to the build. I reckon I took as much away as I've added, as I wanted to keep a 'balance'.
Anyway, that's my update - hope you enjoy the pictures...

96eyhd.jpg

6h589e.jpg

24xm99e.jpg

feqanp.jpg

30aut92.jpg

29catjn.jpg

2rzff4l.jpg

29ldcep.jpg

al6kat.jpg

199un7.jpg

Back