1994 SWorks FSR - My 1st retro build

Re:

Nice stumpy! those carbon Judy's also look very good, is there a big weight difference between a standard Judy? And your house looks also nice! Plenty of room to store some bikes. ;)

Very nice. Love the forks. :cool:
I made that same decision on my build. But instead of using the long travel kit I made a conversion to Hydracoil.

Did you service that rear shocks?

I was just about to write here to Jam if he needs some inspiration to look for your topic Thias!

In any case I like what you did with your bike Jam. That new crown looks different but really goes nice with the rest of the bike.

Yes regarding the brake brace on the FSX Judy forks... It did used to have the right CNC brace but it cracked and died many years ago. I used to be a Rockshox Technician and the Judy braces of that era fit perfectly in place of the CNC one. So I simply got one from a Red Judy DH fork and swapped across. It works, but I'm still on the lookout for the correct CNC brace one day

They also did carbon versions. Can't seem to remember the name... Something with bone?

Edit: Styff -Shock bone it was.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=245391

Those might be worth a try, too. I see them for sale sometimes. The original titanium braces are quite rare these days...
But I think the red judy's brace is looking good, too. So nothing to worry about, imho.

Thias":2jtozazv said:
Very nice. Love the forks. :cool:
I made that same decision on my build. But instead of using the long travel kit I made a conversion to Hydracoil.

Did you service that rear shocks?

What a great thread and interesting journey! couple of quick comments to compare... :LOL:

FSX forks... Nice work! Yup my CNC brace died many years ago. Swapped for Judy DH from that era which fits perfectly in place. I'm an old Rockshox Technician from that then. Fitted the longer travel kit (alu cartridge) and a neat trick is to put two bushing stacked at the upper fork legs to reduce flex. Did this a lot for our team members (see my photo)

Bottom bracket lengths... chuckle :xmas-big-grin: ive been through 3 titanium bottom bracket purchases and finally settle on a 68/103mm (syncros ti) to make the Ritchey Sachs 2x9 setup to work. My cranks are as close as they are allowed to goto the chain stays without hitting them. The issue was the wide sweep of the chain running the 9spd setup.

Rear air shock... good news mine holds air fine (still) which is a mega surprise given the amount of them back in the day that did not. So no need to strip and service as yet.

Attachments

• IMG_3406.JPG
    IMG_3406.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 316
Thias":uwt8dqd3 said:
They also did carbon versions. Can't seem to remember the name... Something with bone?

Edit: Styff -Shock bone it was.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=245391

Those might be worth a try, too. I see them for sale sometimes. The original titanium braces are quite rare these days...
But I think the red judy's brace is looking good, too. So nothing to worry about, imho.

that's great never knew about those braces! will look out for one

Then you really (!) should change the old oil! Or else the shocks wont live much longer, I fear.
I had a few of these alps shocks apart. Old oil results in a scratched surface on the inside of the air chamber. With results in the pressure leaking from the air chamber to the oil chamber.

And put a few drops of oil into the air chamber, too. :mrgreen:

Thias":2dqel86q said:
Then you really (!) should change the old oil! Or else the shocks wont live much longer, I fear.

Worry not Thias, the forks had a full strip down and rebuild... I have plenty of Rockshox spares from when I was a Rockshox mechanic. The cartridge has had the damping oil sorted, fresh seals and a nice supply of Judy butter applied to the stanchion tubes etc. They are running buttery smooth

Back