The ‘virtual’ village bicycle… (JMC 1994 Specialized FSR)

Opening pic on this thread the main body clamp is silver the pic above to me looks its painted red?
Looks the same chunky squared of design of clamp tho 👍

Found this pic....looks like it's from a great quality photo ....if there was anyway of getting that sharper ...that's the angle needed !

First pic on page.....

https://www.fattirefotos.com/jason-mcroy

Found this pic from the same May 1994 Cap D’Ail race which seems to help confirm a few things, all be it fuzzy: Looks like it’s a 2 bolt iBeam stem up front, more suited to riser bars. You can just about see the shinny front bolt bump above & below.

And I think I can just about see the waves of the black Onza Ules bar grips on a black riser as suspected. The rise doesn’t seem as big as Azonics making me think again that it might be a Club roost go fast to match, but not sure yet.

Still can’t quite see if he’s using a DCD or what colour it is. I’m guessing he is and it’s a 2 bolt silver but no evidence for sure yet, he’s had both red & silver versions mounted in the months prior/after.

F08742C2-19F5-4BD2-A713-5ABE75410909.jpeg

My wanted thread for the correct Club roost iBeam Ahead stem 120mm with 2 bolt front clamp to fit riser here:

Last edited:
Answered on the other thread by Peaty owns the only Goat Gobbler, he has it in a cabinet in his museum beside his worlds medals etc

IIRC it had a cam action so you could lift the chain off the ring but it was Andy Kiffin who had it on his bike and when he got smashed at mammoth he gave it to JMC, not sure how peaty ended up with it

I had something similar to that Goat Gobbler on my Yeti back in the day, it had a red anodised clamp round the seat tube, with a nylon lever that pivoted at the front and clipped down onto a spigot at the back with the roller (white plastic, maybe teflon? Not alloy) placed halfway along it, you could flip the lever up to get the chain off. I've never seen another one and can't for the life of me remember what it was called, but that Goat Gobbler is definitely the closest thing I've seen and @boxxer saying it had a cam made me think of it again. I don't recall the clamp being quite as bulky as those pictures though and was wondering if maybe a refined version was released to the public? I'd love to know what it was, it's been bugging me for years.

Thanks @boxxer I realised mine wasn't the same as JMC's, just always wondered what it was. With AC though I'll see if I can find a picture to confirm it and finally know! @Joe*Pro sorry for the slight thread hi-jack!

Some where in an MTB Pro or 94/95 MBUK there is a piece of the Goat Gobbler, looked through mine and can’t find it

Thanks @boxxer I realised mine wasn't the same as JMC's, just always wondered what it was. With AC though I'll see if I can find a picture to confirm it and finally know! @Joe*Pro sorry for the slight thread hi-jack!
No this is a great help as my next best option, or as something that I might be able to modify.

I had to commission SRP to make parts for the previous JMC TEAM M2 build, so I’m equally expecting it for something on this one, this seems to be it.

I originally thought it was an AC guide for ages but i might have seen that on one of his other bikes/builds.

the nearest I can find now is a ‘lil Chap’ which I thought I’d spray silver till something better came along, or modify it to take a pulley wheel.

Some where in an MTB Pro or 94/95 MBUK there is a piece of the Goat Gobbler, looked through mine and can’t find it
I have a few, time to flick through again.

this article from 1997 also full of helpful comparisons:

Last edited:
Back