1994 Raceface "Real Seal" headset,lower bearing measurements

Re:

For the info, my newer headset Real Seal II (has the screw-on clamp at the top with the Allen key clamp started in 1994) has 6807RS bearing in it, it says so in big letters on the seal.
Catalogue claims they ate fully serviceable and I have a feeling I may have tapped the bearing our just to see a few months back. There is a big cap behind them anyway.
From memory the side you cannot see is the side without the seal. (Hence RS not 2RS,though I may be thinking of another headset.)

The 93 is a damn big bearing in the top 6906RS and noticeable by the curved cap. This will be the Real Seal.

To pinch a Real Seal pic in my thread of I think the same part missing as mine.
file.php

I've replaced the lower bearing, it was a push fit into the cup. A little levering with a lolly stick got it out.

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":1ou7muz3 said:
For the info, my newer headset Real Seal II (has the screw-on clamp at the top with the Allen key clamp started in 1994) has 6807RS bearing in it, it says so in big letters on the seal.
Catalogue claims they ate fully serviceable and I have a feeling I may have tapped the bearing our just to see a few months back. There is a big cap behind them anyway.
From memory the side you cannot see is the side without the seal. (Hence RS not 2RS,though I may be thinking of another headset.)

The 93 is a damn big bearing in the top 6906RS and noticeable by the curved cap. This will be the Real Seal.

To pinch a Real Seal pic in my thread of I think the same part missing as mine.
file.php

The above headset that came on the 93 Altitude I don't think was branded as a Real Seal.

The Real Seal headsets I've pictured below with interchangeable threadless or threaded top race is the one and only headset that was branded as a Real Seal (according to the catalogues i've seen/scanned), there was no II model. And yes, I believe I've owned about all possible colours out there at one point or another (red not pictured but on a bike). ;)

Attachments

• DSC07325.JPG
    DSC07325.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 564
  • DSC03211.JPG
    DSC03211.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 563
  • IMG_1692.JPG
    IMG_1692.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 564
Re:

They're technically the Real Seal II.
Read the 1994 catalogue, that's when they altered and released that design. I know later they dropped the II as no point in it.

My not 1993 one is as per the thread less, all black with black plastic T-rings. Like the silver/pewter/Ti one in the 1st picture, just noticed mine has the rubber ring like yours under the compression cap, so must be at least 1995 then.

But the thread part is a thin ~1cm thick with tapered and knurles edges and just screws down above the top of the theadless part. Then clamps with an Allen key.
Of course that ring could be off the Ti raceface stem, but it came as part of the headset and has the correct lips and hollows and thread. I've not seen the raceface stems with them to compare other than in some pictures.

Back