1994 Raceface "Real Seal" headset,lower bearing measurements

ted andkilde

Rocky Mountain Fan
Feedback
View
Hi all

I'm restoring an old Rocky Mountain Altitude. The headset is missing the lower bearing and I'm trying to track down a replacement. Google tells me 6607-RS Enduro. I spoke with Enduro, that's not a current # but they think they can replace it dimensionally.

If anyone has one of these lying around could you throw a pair of calipers on it to get O.D., I.D. and thickness? Maybe snap a photo or two if there is a taper or chamfer on the outer race?

Thanks, Ted

If it helps, I have a race face real seal headset but I'm missing some top cap parts. The rest is there and really tidy with good bearings.

Re:

my question is, how is the headset missing the cartridge bearings in the first place??? they are pressed in and i can't see any easy way to get them out. i've come across a few headsets over the years, and on a occasions, the cartridge in the lower cups are fairly gritty.

Re: Re:

RockiMtn":347fa3yh said:
my question is, how is the headset missing the cartridge bearings in the first place??? they are pressed in and i can't see any easy way to get them out. i've come across a few headsets over the years, and on a occasions, the cartridge in the lower cups are fairly gritty.

I popped it out of the cup because the bearing was completely shot. (this is the red one that came with '94 Altitude)

I think it's a 6807RS.

Re: Re:

aguycalled80":2izdsnn9 said:
RockiMtn":2izdsnn9 said:

I popped it out of the cup because the bearing was completely shot. (this is the red one that came with '94 Altitude)

I think it's a 6807RS.

A new # to try :) and it appears to exist http://www.amazon.com/6807RS-Bearing-35 ... B002BBCPYU

Thanks aguycalled80

Frame arrive d today BTW, thanks very much.

Cheers, Ted

I have a few spare RealSeals lying around and installed, most of them indeed have a gritty lower cup bearing. Seems like the weak spot of this headset. Although when installed you don't notice it, and I'm usually quite sensitive to this.

What year Altitude are you restoring? The 1994? Surely not many of those are around. Please post some pics, or better, start a build thread here! If you have the mango coloured RealSeal with it, be very careful with it, these are not so easy to find...

Back