1994 Kona Explosif - my latest find

cheers Jon - still long way till the finish line :)

cleaned the wheelset and the casette with slightly thinned Finish Line multi degreaser - not the Citrus one - in the first step. Filled the degreaser into an old spray bottle and apply it to the greasy surface. Let it soak for some minutes and then use a toothbrush and rub down. Afterwards rinse with water and clean with a rag. For a better finish I'm cleaning the parts with dishwasher in the second step. All that is taken place in the kitchen sink, when wife's not at home.

The cleaning of the bike stuff is not as challenging as the cleaning of the kitchen and the sink itself, afterwards - thats the guarantee for a peacefull familiy life :LOL:

magas":l09o42nj said:
cheers Jon - still long way till the finish line :)

cleaned the wheelset and the casette with slightly thinned Finish Line multi degreaser - not the Citrus one - in the first step. Filled the degreaser into an old spray bottle and apply it to the greasy surface. Let it soak for some minutes and then use a toothbrush and rub down. Afterwards rinse with water and clean with a rag. For a better finish I'm cleaning the parts with dishwasher in the second step. All that is taken place in the kitchen sink, when wife's not at home.

The cleaning of the bike stuff is not as challenging as the cleaning of the kitchen and the sink itself, afterwards - thats the guarantee for a peacefull familiy life :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL:

Cool tips mate.

So you put bike parts in dish washer :shock:

rojo":2dsz6ggy said:

no, not into the dishwasher, thats not good for alloy parts - I meant with dishwasher liquid (Fairy,...) in the sink with sponge and brush,...

sorry for confusion - have to improve my english,....

magas":3nv8ykq7 said:
rojo":3nv8ykq7 said:

no, not into the dishwasher, thats not good for alloy parts - I meant with dishwasher liquid (Fairy,...) in the sink with sponge and brush,...

sorry for confusion - have to improve my english,....

Oh sorry my bad.

Will give it a go when it's next needed.

Look forward to seeing how this one turns out. Top work as normal though Martin :cool:

two things made me worry, if the buy had been a good deal or not: quill stem and BB :(

when I first tried to remove both of them, I failed - nothing moved. First I soaked the quill stem bolt in rust remover solvent for more than a week. The first try with a standard allen key was a miss (bend the key :x )

Something more "professional" had to do the job:

and it did and the bold came free :D

The other parts of the stem had been greased prior installation, so they came out easily, but the bolt had not been greased

When the quill was solved I turned my attention to the BB.

Had to put a lot of force with the BB tool until the BB comes out and again the threads had not been greased and rust hold it back in the frame.

now its time to do the bare frame and give him some TLC.

Re:

Martin...:cool: nice find that bud :cool:fluted down tubes ..nice :cool: ..i hope you are still on the look out for me ;)

Ernie ;)

magas":2syc4rc9 said:
interesting, was not aware of that. Maybe the reason is, that Kona in 94 offered different specs. for North America and for the rest of the world. At least there are two different catalogues here in the archive.

The US brochure says about frame tubing "Tange Prestige Ultimate // Race Light DB stays" wether in the other brochure they tell "Tange Prestige Concept / Ultra Light custom set // New Extra Light DB stays"

Going to weight the frame when its completly dismantled.

Maybe this was allready discussed here before, but I did not find some. Who can enlighten us here ?

Hello, I join the thread ;)

Here is mine, spoke about the frame with sir anthony :cool:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=163687&p=1227075&hilit=explosif#p1227075

And here for a pic
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19592&p=1706685&hilit=explosif#p1706685

kikideparis":tgqf2cey said:
magas":tgqf2cey said:
interesting, was not aware of that. Maybe the reason is, that Kona in 94 offered different specs. for North America and for the rest of the world. At least there are two different catalogues here in the archive.

The US brochure says about frame tubing "Tange Prestige Ultimate // Race Light DB stays" wether in the other brochure they tell "Tange Prestige Concept / Ultra Light custom set // New Extra Light DB stays"

Going to weight the frame when its completly dismantled.

Maybe this was allready discussed here before, but I did not find some. Who can enlighten us here ?

Hello, I join the thread ;)

Here is mine, spoke about the frame with sir anthony :cool:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=163687&p=1227075&hilit=explosif#p1227075

And here for a pic
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19592&p=1706685&hilit=explosif#p1706685

Now that's interesting, once again from the don Anthony. So, 2 variants - nice one!

thats truly interesting with those two variants of the 94 Explosif - was not aware of that - thanks for enlighten us :)

@ kikideparis: Your Explosif looking good, btw. ;)

The weight of my frame is 1.948 grams incl. the 2 headset cups (dont know the weight of it)

The frame's ready for rebuild

The 94 Tange Explosif and my 96 Columbus Explosif sitting together - both 18"

Wether the 94 weights 1.948 grams the 96 weights 1.917 grams

Back