1994 Kona Explosif - my latest find

magas

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
when browsing the small ads I stumpled accros a bad pic. of a bike which seemed to be a Kona Explosif - the seller only wrote "Kona". Nothing specific about to model, state, or anything else; only this single, small sized, bad pic. the name Kona and the price.

Gave the seller a call and after some talks I was still not sure what the model was and he was not able to take any more pics. for me. He just told me, that the frame was light, alloy :?: , and the decal says something like "Ultimate" or so. I was hoping to have here a 94 Explosif and I told him, that I will have the bike and I asked a colleague to pick up the bike from the seller, as it was located some 200 km far away from me. So he took it for me and brought it to our branch, where it is at the moment. He than took some pics. from the bike and it proofed to be a 94 Explosif - almost original - I am relieved :)

Here the pics. as it stands at the moment.

Looking forward when I will get it. Then I'm going to decide what has to be done.

Excellent find. It's interesting to see that, certainly with Explosif's, those that bought them generally, rode them hard, as they were intended. They have all sorts of scrapes and dents so it's nice to see one that's been ridden but not thrashed.

If it were me, a flite, new CK headset, pedals and velocity stem would be on the cards. Along with a good deep clean, tune up, she should be a right good ride.

Re:

Congratulation magas ;) I've been in contact with the seller some days before your find but the seller didn't want to ship and it was too far away for me too. But now it's in good hands. Greetings from styria, Christoph

cheers for comments :D

I will dismantle the bike, clean and regrease all parts and replace where necessary, cables and/or chain f.e. Otherwise it should be fine, from what I can see on the pics. and what I was told. Fork loosing air within a week or so - going to check that. Will be a bit difficult, as its the first of the air Marz. I own. Maybe replace it with a Mag 21.

That bar ends and the pedals will be tossed away and the stem will be replaced with a velocity one @ al-onestare: do you have one for me ;)

With that and a flite, the bike should be a great light rider again :)

@ Christoph - PM ;)

Re:

Great find Martin looks in great condition.

Did you get a bargain?

Re: Re:

rojo":dkort9hn said:

Did you get a bargain?

perhaps, I will finally know, when I have the bike at home and everything's as supposed te be ;)

Re: Re:

magas":14i27e4b said:
rojo":14i27e4b said:

Did you get a bargain?

perhaps, I will finally know, when I have the bike at home and everything's as supposed te be ;)

:LOL: :cool: :cool:

Look forward to update

Back