1994 Kona Explosif - my latest find

al-onestare":y8izol2z said:
There's one for sale at the moment in the FS section :)

cheers mate; thats the one from the 96 range, not the one I was thinking for the 94 Explosif, but would be fine for another Kona build, I have in mind ;)

bike's here´ :xmas-big-grin:

at first quick glance it had been ridden quite well and the frame shows this. But its not abused and the seatpost is moving :D

More pics. to come.

its really an Explosif :)

Tange tubing and grooved downtube

removed the pedals and the barends for this pic. thats more how I want the bike look like.

I need to dismantle the entire bike, clean every part, replace at least the saddle, stem, grips, tyres and tubes. The fork is loosing air as supposed, also the quill stem has inside some corossion which made it stuck in the forks steerer :(

Lot of work, before this bike is back on the trails.

little bit of work done during weekend

rear wheel before

and after

rear Mavic 231 rims lanced to XT freewheel-hub. front are Mavic 230 and also XT hub. I changed the casette to a XT 12-32 which is more suited to the terrain I used to ride, than the 11-30 which comes original with the bike.

heres the wheelset ready for the tyres

Re:

Nice job on the wheels.

I just got a 94 Explosif frame, as well. But the tubing on mine is the Ultimate Superlight; and doesn't have the fluting on the down tube. Wonder what the story is in using two different tube sets in the same year. My frame is 18" c-t (same as yours, it looks like) and it weighs 4.25 lbs. Would be interested to know what yours weighs.

vljPI3.jpg

interesting, was not aware of that. Maybe the reason is, that Kona in 94 offered different specs. for North America and for the rest of the world. At least there are two different catalogues here in the archive.

The US brochure says about frame tubing "Tange Prestige Ultimate // Race Light DB stays" wether in the other brochure they tell "Tange Prestige Concept / Ultra Light custom set // New Extra Light DB stays"

Going to weight the frame when its completly dismantled.

Maybe this was allready discussed here before, but I did not find some. Who can enlighten us here ?

Re:

Cool , looking good Martin .

What's your tips on making whelk and cassette so clean?

Back