1993 Manitou FS Beneke project

Re:

Looks great mate. Out of interest what length BB have you used?

Hopefully should get mine up and running soon - it's taken a while :oops:

LeeDevelopment":1912msi5 said:
May I ask what you used to clean the melted elastomers off with please?

It was not that hard/sticky. Most of it behaved like candle wax and I used a blade with care. For the sticky parts I just used alcohol.

Woodyuk":1912msi5 said:
Looks amazing ...always wanted a Manitou FS

Thank you! It also was one of the bikes I always wanted and were out of reach BITD...

Giom6":1912msi5 said:
Looks great mate. Out of interest what length BB have you used?

Hopefully should get mine up and running soon - it's taken a while :oops:

I used 113mm because, with the large diameter seat tube, 107mm seemed too narrow...

Davichin":3e2di9sp said:
LeeDevelopment":3e2di9sp said:
May I ask what you used to clean the melted elastomers off with please?

It was not that hard/sticky. Most of it behaved like candle wax and I used a blade with care. For the sticky parts I just used alcohol.

You escaped a bullet there then Dave ^^^ the bottom out elastomer on mine had turned to the stickiest mess possible and was a nightmare to remove

Had to soak with white spirit and make myself a tool of a tooth brush on a piece of wooden doweling in order to agitate it off/out

ooh and you'll need to be wearing old clothes cuz if your looks like this then your in for an afternoon of fun :shock:

and yes thats a melted goop of elastomer and not red grease

Attachments

• rear%20turned%20to%20mush.jpg
    rear%20turned%20to%20mush.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 380
  • perished%20elastomer.jpg
    perished%20elastomer.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 380
Re:

I'd love to know how this performs, can't imagine what a bike with elastomer rear shocks would feel like. The FS is a lovely looking bike, kinda wouldn't mind one myself one day but I own bikes to use and can't imagine it would be used ahead of my existing ones.

Looking forward to seeing this finished.

Back