1993 Manitou FS Beneke project

I checked a Manitou 4 that I have unused but the stanchions are not "dark"... I will have to search for a M3 :p

In German BIKE magazine July 1994 is a two page review of Jürgens bike and he talks about it.
The chainring guard seems to be homemade:
" I drive only two chainrings. A small 24t for uphill, and a 48t for the race. For not loosing the chain, I mount a special alloy disc, in which the chain runs. Looks good and works perfect".
And no front derailleur!
A few more specs from that article: BB Kingsberry titanium, headset and rear hub also Kingsberry, frt hub Manitou. In early season XTR crank, later AC. Rims Ritchey Pro WCS, tires Verdestein Slizzer, pictured fork is a Manitou3, but the specs say Manitou4 with cartridge daming unit (efc proto internals), same in the rear. Total weight 11.4 kg.

Huelse":3f5ad2cd said:
In German BIKE magazine July 1994 is a two page review of Jürgens bike and he talks about it.
" I drive only two chainrings. A small 24t for uphill, and a 48t for the race. For not loosing the chain, I mount a special alloy disc, in which the chain runs. Looks good and works perfect".
And no front derailleur!
A few more specs from that article: BB Kingsberry titanium, headset and rear hub also Kingsberry, frt hub Manitou. In early season XTR crank, later AC. Rims Ritchey Pro WCS, tires Verdestein Slizzer, pictured fork is a Manitou3, but the specs say Manitou4 with cartridge daming unit (efc proto internals), same in the rear. Total weight 11.4 kg.

Thank you very much Huelse :) . I read that article but it is for the Manitou3 1994 version bike, and a little bit incoherent/inconsistent in that it stays those specs but then, in the same page, the bike picture shows Mavic rims, ZMAX WCS front tyre, IRC rear tyre, M900 cranks... :roll: Like I said, I thought there would be a lot of info on the internet but there is not :?

Davichin":mxerw1j7 said:
Huelse":mxerw1j7 said:
And no front derailleur!

Thank you very much Huelse :) . I read that article but it is for the Manitou3 1994 version bike, and a little bit incoherent/inconsistent in that it stays those specs but then, in the same page, the bike picture shows Mavic rims, ZMAX WCS front tyre, IRC rear tyre, M900 cranks... :roll: Like I said, I thought there would be a lot of info on the internet but there is not :?

without patronising you, as you already point this out above ^^^

Your just going to have to settle for one picture and say thats the one my builds based upon, no doubt the bike was constantly evolving and spec would have changed every race... afteral it was just a tool to do a job with.

Retro Spud":387y8s21 said:
Davichin":387y8s21 said:
Huelse":387y8s21 said:
And no front derailleur!

without patronising you, as you already point this out above ^^^

Your just going to have to settle for one picture and say thats the one my builds based upon, no doubt the bike was constantly evolving and spec would have changed every race... afteral it was just a tool to do a job with.

You are right ;) . I more or less have most of the things I would like to use thought out, even though I have not found an info pic like:

DSCN1804.jpg

DSCN1801.jpg

Pics from http://lagaleria-retrobici.blogspot.com ... onato.html

Today I arrived at Santander and started to work on the forks... Tasty:

New elastomers are in order as expected... I also need the long allen wrench to fully dismount the elastomer rod.

And I also had to use the force to take out the stuck headset adaptar that the previous owner fit:

Attachments

• 20150110_183236mini.jpg
    20150110_183236mini.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 448
  • yimg-1118451200-1-985599577mini.jpg
    yimg-1118451200-1-985599577mini.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 448
Re:

Allen wrench found, fork disassembled, rear susp also disassembled with totally mushy elastomers that took some work to clean...

Rear gum:

I already ordered both elastomer replacement kits (they seem expensive for what they are IMHO, specially compared to what retro forks go these days :roll: )...

Attachments

• 20150110_210705mini.jpg
    20150110_210705mini.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 434
  • 20150110_212412mini.jpg
    20150110_212412mini.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 434
Re:

Doing well with progress so far mate.

You are right about the replacement elastimers being expensive, I have home grown spring kits in a couple of my manitou forks, work well :)

What size is that steerer adaptor?

Re: Re:

unit3":1bak1m1d said:
Doing well with progress so far mate.

You are right about the replacement elastimers being expensive, I have home grown spring kits in a couple of my manitou forks, work well :)

What size is that steerer adaptor?

Thank you! I thought about springs too but I preferred elastomers for this one :)
Steerer adapter is 28.6mm x 135mm straight gauge (so it came with an extra pipe section for the Manitou 1-1/4 stem to fit)

Back