1993 Kona Hahanna - seized stem/bits missing :D

sparkybhp

Senior Retro Guru
This has been in my watchlist for ages, I’ve been tempted to give it a go as a project but was a bit too far to collect. However, yesterday I was down nearby collecting a ‘93 Stumpjumper (different thread) and the seller sent an offer (was £55 now £45) - so I grabbed it.
IMG_3752.jpeg
The stem was seized in the steerer and has been partly dissolved with drain cleaner, obviously the seller made that clear in the listing though. The selling point was the frame, and fork if I can save them, I really like the orange to silver fade on these. I have various parts to build this up when it comes to it and at 18” it’s a decent size for me too.
IMG_3754.jpeg
Got it stripped down pretty quick although both of the Altus cranks were stuck on the bb - with the threads stripping when I tried to undo them. The 9” grinder sorted that though - I just cut the axle either side of the bb (which was toast anyway)!
The frame is nice and straight with only a few minor scuffs, decals are pretty good too. A clean and polish will be enough to get this looking presentable.
I’m thinking Deore thumbies and high command levers, LX or DX mechs maybe.
Next post will be sorting the forks out and then clean, touch up the paint and build!

Looks like a really nice project. I like the grinder solution for the stuck crankset, too.
Thanks! If the bb was ok I would have made a few small cuts around the cranks centres to get them off more carefully without damaging the bb tapers.
In this case I just let the sparks fly! Although I did have to be careful not to damage the frame or the bb cups - didn’t want those stuck in the frame!

Progress is being made, forks are pickling in a mixture of hydrochloric acid and water - seems to be working.
IMG_3772.jpeg
I dug out some wheels from the stash, I’m going to stick with black accents on this, the seller included a black seatpost in the correct 26.6mm size. I’m going with some black rigida rims with gunmetal stx hubs. I’ve been saving these Wildgripper sprint copies and I think they’ll be bang on for this.
IMG_3765.jpeg
I wanted a stem with a built in cable hanger and found a scruffy one which I had and I’ve repainted it in gloss black.
IMG_3766.jpeg
I’ve laid out some components but I may change my mind on the shifters and levers, might hang on to those and fit some other parts I have - not 100% yet.
IMG_3769.jpeg

:cool:

Missed this one. Had a wanted ad up for one in this size for ages for my '93 collection, one of only two missing, had a full XTR kit ready for it as well :)

:cool:

Missed this one. Had a wanted ad up for one in this size for ages for my '93 collection, one of only two missing, had a full XTR kit ready for it as well :)
I mean, I would move it on - if it’s one you’re really after. Ultimately I think I’d like a Lava Dome or Cinder Cone in 19” to be perfect. I grabbed this because it was close by and cheap, that and I like a challenge with the seized stem. Let me know, no pressure though, I’ll happily continue building this up to get it rideable again. 👍

Back