Freeing seized piston: Hope Mono Mini

Here's the exact item on fleabay . . . very tempting except that when you add up the various costs, it comes to about AUD 160 . . . Probably not worth it.

ebay.jpg

I have a similar problem with some tech 3s. I'm sending them to hope to get sorted as while I wanted to sort it myself, once I've bought all the required bore tools and new pistons and seals I'm half way or more towards the cost of the service, which also includes new pads and a bleed. Not an option for you though being in Oz.

I do happen to have a spare, single mono mini calliper and lever in black that I bought to pinch some fixing bolts from, but ended up getting some new bits instead so I still have it and it's spare. I have been half heartedly looking for a mate for it, but I'd have nothing to put it on if I found one.

It's black with the gold bore cap. If you want a calliper I'm up for selling it and getting it to Oz the most economical way possible so it's not too expensive.

Haha no worries. I have been wondering if the 'standard' Mono Mini or even the older Mini caliper would work with the Pro lever as at least that part of the system is in good nick.
From the mini, mono mini,mini mono pro etc going right up through the years pretty much every caliper will work with every lever. I'm currently using a Tech 2 evo caliper(V4) on a Tech 4 lever, and Tech 2 evo V2 and V4 calipers on Tech 3 levers, in fact Im going to be putting one of the tech evo V2 calipers(2010) onto the Tech 4 lever (2023)

I've a spare Moto lever and hose and I'm just looking for a later model V2 caliper to pair that up with.

I have a similar problem with some tech 3s. I'm sending them to hope to get sorted as while I wanted to sort it myself, once I've bought all the required bore tools and new pistons and seals I'm half way or more towards the cost of the service, which also includes new pads and a bleed. Not an option for you though being in Oz.

I do happen to have a spare, single mono mini calliper and lever in black that I bought to pinch some fixing bolts from, but ended up getting some new bits instead so I still have it and it's spare. I have been half heartedly looking for a mate for it, but I'd have nothing to put it on if I found one.

It's black with the gold bore cap. If you want a calliper I'm up for selling it and getting it to Oz the most economical way possible so it's not too expensive.
Wow -- that would be great. Thanks for that. I'll send you a DM shortly.

From the mini, mono mini,mini mono pro etc going right up through the years pretty much every caliper will work with every lever. I'm currently using a Tech 2 evo caliper(V4) on a Tech 4 lever, and Tech 2 evo V2 and V4 calipers on Tech 3 levers, in fact Im going to be putting one of the tech evo V2 calipers(2010) onto the Tech 4 lever (2023)

I've a spare Moto lever and hose and I'm just looking for a later model V2 caliper to pair that up with.
This is really good to know -- I consulted Hope themselves about this a while ago and they were helpful in that they sent a chart or matrix showing various compatibilities but I hadn't seen it tried by anyone. It opens up all sorts of possibilities.

I'm quite keen to see if the bore caps are interchangeable as well. Again, the Hope website has a matrix which makes them all look a little bit different, but it would be very handy if the same sizes could be swapped.

Last edited:
Drill small pilot hole in centre of piston.
Find a HEFTY self tapping screw
Find a stout piece of material (metal, maybe wood with washers) and drill it so that the screw thread will pass through freely (but not the screw head)
place the screw through the material and butt that up against the caliper body
find spacers/stack washers so that the screw can screw a fair way into the piston but it can't pull into/through the metal/wood block

tighten the screw and it will pull the piston out.

Back