1992 Claud Butler Antaeus 653 Magnum FINISHED

Re: Claud Butler Antaeus 653 - 3 times a lady

PeachyPM":23e7dh11 said:
I thought by '93 it had become a welded jobby? leaving '91 & '92 as the only possible producton dates.

And Legrandfromage had it down as a 1991, I just assumed he had good reason?

Not sure about them ever being welded.

http://mombatbicycles.com/Suspension.htm

According to Mombat 1991 is too early for the MX100 fork, Marzocchi only offered the Starfork in 1991.

According to them the XC400 fitted as OEM to my bike were 1993 forks, so that would fit in with me buying it that year or possibly later, hell I don't know it's so long ago, but I am sure the lower legs were drilled on the OEM forks, which I had replaced for Manitou2's.

Carl.

Although I bought the MX100 shocks from Longun with the frame, I had always assumed, that they weren’t the exact original just a very close period part.
As for the ’93 Antaeus, here’s a scan from that years catalogue that was posted elsewhere on this forum.

I'm hoping LGF might enlighten us with his reasoning... :D img023.jpg

Last edited:

PeachyPM":1f1p0r1n said:
Although I bought the MX100 shocks from Longun with the frame, I had always assumed, that they weren’t the exact original just a very close period part.
As for the ’93 Antaeus, here’s a scan from that years catalogue that was posted elsewhere on this forum.

I'm hoping LGF might enlighten us with his reasoning... :D

That would be the 'Cheap Aluminium frames' he mentioned then.

Handily that brochure is marked 1993 too, so we know that the 653 framed Anteaus wasn't available then.

I wonder if it was available into 1992 with some updates? Who knows.

There are a few inconsistencies in the pictures and the specs.

Both picture show different forks, one silver, one black. Top picture looks suspiciously like an RS-1 Rockshox, lower picture the MX100. Spec calls out the short cage XT, pictures both look like long cage (although the top is harder to make out). So i think they probably messed around with specs during development testing different parts and sorting deals with the suppliers. I wonder if they just updated some part for 1992?

Carl.

I really dont remember saying it was 1991.

The chain rings will have a date stamp on them, I'll go and have a looksie.

I would lean toward 1992 myself, I had the 92 model year Spectre in Grello and that had all of the 92 year Shimano on it. *which I should add that I got in 1991 as two previous bikes had been filched.

Re:

It's the year of the catalogue thread that's been linked. Could be the op of the catalogue got the year mixed up.

legrandefromage":gqga3z0l said:
oooh, the rings are July 1991.

Lovely, I thought it might have been from the white decals near the head tube being different from Carl’s black decals nearer the seat.

And your original post was titled “1991 Claud Butler Antaeus 653”
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=357914&hilit=+1991+antaeus

drcarlos":3axu39ks said:
The front XT mech looks like a downpull band on which also won't work as the frame has guides for top pull.

Hmm, stupidly hadn’t thought this would be a problem, just assumed the front derailleurs would work both ways…….. :oops:
So, no, I don’t have a front derailleur, and don’t have enough knowledge of these things to go picking one from the various poorly photographed options on e-bay. :facepalm:

Any help here would be much appreciated chaps…. :|

PeachyPM":1269f3gx said:
drcarlos":1269f3gx said:
The front XT mech looks like a downpull band on which also won't work as the frame has guides for top pull.

Hmm, stupidly hadn’t thought this would be a problem, just assumed the front derailleurs would work both ways…….. :oops:
So, no, I don’t have a front derailleur, and don’t have enough knowledge of these things to go picking one from the various poorly photographed options on e-bay. :facepalm:

Any help here would be much appreciated chaps…. :|
From memory you are looking for a 31.8 top pull

Carl

Back