Claud Butler Titanius - The Catalogue correct build

I'm actually amazed, with some brief interweb search, nothing pops up related to specific corrosive free and optimised Turbo trainer builds.

Specialized haven't even invented it yet. You should patent this asafp. 👍

What I have seen is this zenith of bike tech accessory evolution. I shook my head in disbelief that a jock strap with a bit of a transparent patch can be marketed in another realm. It was too much for me. I simply head for the comforting drinks cabinet then had to strip some Mafac Racer centre-pulls to lower the blood pressure.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tacx-Spare-Sweat-Cover-Smartphone/dp/B07Q21MYP9

Don't worry Woz ;) , because unless @STX-RC knows something I don't there's nothing to worry about.
The rear triangle and head tube are stainless steel, that includes the integrated lugs, the three main tubes are titanium & I've rigged her up with stainless steel cables. But I may well still use a towel to save the stickers. 🤪
Ok, nothing to worry about then.

Can i ask a few questions?

-for what reason they made frames like this, instead of building a frame only titanium? What was the benefit?
Were there any typical problems of these frames?

Guessing it was somehow cheaper, and maybe resulted in better riding characteristics, due to the lightness of ti, and the flexibility of the steel.
Also seems to me a bit of a dead end in frame evolution, and a bit complicated too.

I was intended buying a Raleigh "28er built the same way, and some experienced riders discouraged me from making the aquisition, as they were stating there can be some problems with frames built this way, especially at the joints. I was quite amazed by that bike, being a rare beast on our market.

I'm actually amazed, with some brief interweb search, nothing pops up related to specific corrosive free and optimised Turbo trainer builds.

Specialized haven't even invented it yet. You should patent this asafp. 👍

What I have seen is this zenith of bike tech accessory evolution. I shook my head in disbelief that a jock strap with a bit of a transparent patch can be marketed in another realm. It was too much for me. I simply head for the comforting drinks cabinet then had to strip some Mafac Racer centre-pulls to lower the blood pressure.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tacx-Spare-Sweat-Cover-Smartphone/dp/B07Q21MYP9
Looks like something Borat would wear! 🤮

72201878-72ED-4AE2-A331-02DF51E5D46B.jpeg 7F166F21-4F14-4E92-B8A6-9FBABD91580D.jpeg

Last edited:
-for what reason they made frames like this, instead of building a frame only titanium? What was the benefit?
Were there any typical problems of these frames?

Guessing it was somehow cheaper, and maybe resulted in better riding characteristics, due to the lightness of ti, and the flexibility of the steel.
Also seems to me a bit of a dead end in frame evolution, and a bit complicated too.

To be honest, I’ve no idea.
These frames weren’t made by the Falcon group (the then owners of the Claud brand) but by the German company “Hawk” and as they advertised this model with much higher level kit in 93/94 then dropped it for 95 makes me think they knew the jointing method was flawed.
I can only assume they cut a deal with Falcon to cover it in Claud graphics and cheaper kit.
Unsurprisingly most of the survivors have signs of joint failure, all except my WI version which has never been ridden (well I rolled it up & down the street to dial in the gears)

Anyway… this one now is sporting a continental hometrainer tyre & is strapped down to the trainer. 😁

0D39080F-0A23-44AC-99B1-C11630E1D508.jpeg 8BF95FA9-698F-418A-9C4A-1212C9669A27.jpeg DCA203EC-9B87-4232-B499-B3B3F459FE41.jpeg

There is a swiss manufacturer called Leopard, they had a frame with ti top tube only. Interesting concept anyway

Are you expecting suitable donations / suggestions for some decoration on that wall immediately in your field of view?

Are you expecting suitable donations / suggestions for some decoration on that wall immediately in your field of view?
Nah, it’s in the cellar, nothing survives on that wall for more than a few weeks

• Sad
Reactions: Woz

Latest posts

Back