1992 Claud Butler Antaeus 653 Magnum FINISHED

Re: Claud Butler Antaeus 653 - 3 times a lady

The seller is a member on here. But like someone said, its not all M730 parts. An alternative would be XC Pro but it would cost to get all the parts together.

The LX will be fine, good groupset, the DX groupset is great too, but again, more cost :)

It was Claud Butlers top end frame at the time. Whether it will ride like a top end frame is another matter.

My own 1992 531 Magnum CB Spectre was a bit of a lump.

It deserves the XT simply for the fact that it exists - they sold in such low numbers compared to the paper round models.

file.php

file.php

Re:

I agree,its a lovely frame,it needs XT.I bought a new CB Vantage(actually wasnt all that bad) and the dealer had an Antaeus hanging up,a few of us used to pay weekly homage to it in all of its out of reachness glory :(

I have the xt on mine and xtr mechs as I had the rear one fitted in the shop when I bought it. I added the front a few years ago when one popped up on here. I personally think 653 deserves xt and it was placed well at the time. The wheel set is really nice too, but I doubt you’ll find another. Shame it got split up.

Carl

Ok, so I think the most practical way forward for me will be to fit the LX group set then swap components out with XT kit as when it pops up?
And the question still stands; is there anything in this lot that is worth the money?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332818074030 ... .S1.R1.TR1
Or do you think my money would be better spent if I’m a bit more patient and find exactly the right stuff?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brakes won't fit as the standard kit is magura (I assume you have those??) and there are no guides for cantis. Like wise the STi's, it also had thumbies as standard. The front XT mech looks like a downpull band on which also won't work as the frame has guides for top pull. The rear mech will work but is a long cage and a short was fitted as standard, you might not be happy. The chainset is correct and probably cassette. The chain is probably worn out so would need to be replaced anyway. If it would all fit and work I would say £90 is fair, but a lot to pay for 3 parts that would fit and work.

Best stick to the LX plan to fit and replace as the parts come up I think.

Carl.

drcarlos":1mgsdk0y said:
Brakes won't fit as the standard kit is magura (I assume you have those??) and there are no guides for cantis. Like wise the STi's, it also had thumbies as standard. The front XT mech looks like a downpull band on which also won't work as the frame has guides for top pull. The rear mech will work but is a long cage and a short was fitted as standard, you might not be happy. The chainset is correct and probably cassette. The chain is probably worn out so would need to be replaced anyway. If it would all fit and work I would say £90 is fair, but a lot to pay for 3 parts that would fit and work.

Best stick to the LX plan to fit and replace as the parts come up I think.

Carl.

Cheers.... much appreciated.

It's weird looking at the brochure, there are several details that were different to the bike I saw and purchased.

The forks were MX400's, the seat post was a silver KAlloy (and crap it was too) and the rear mech was a short cage XT.

It's possible that the spec changed a bit from 91 to 92 (I bought mine in 93) so I may have had a later 1992 bike with a revised spec for the year.

I think this bike here would have been the same year as it has the MX400 forks too.

Carl.

I thought by '93 it had become a welded jobby? leaving '91 & '92 as the only possible producton dates.

And Legrandfromage had it down as a 1991, I just assumed he had good reason?

Bored Clutler were still lugged in 1996. There were no tig welded frames as far as I can remember - they went to cheap aluminium frames rather than anything posh. Brigg built stuff like the Dalesman was tig but that was much later.

As for this, theres nothing really unique to the build, most of it is easily sourced.

Back