1992 Claud Butler Antaeus 653 Magnum FINISHED

Re: Claud Butler Antaeus 653 - 3 times a lady

Head set sorted, more sticker fun and a bit more bike assembly.
A good afternoon’s work, :D
(in between looking after dogs, goats, chickens & children, washing, ironing, home work support and cooking as the wife still has ‘the vapours’ from last night) 🤦 649E5D57-EB02-4FDF-886A-94F91171A71A.jpeg 19063B5C-1E8C-4977-9AC8-53E47A3D87D2.jpeg

Last edited:
Re: Re:

MR OX":1p0bu9tn said:
Just been catching up on this thread, that looks stunning! lovely work :cool:

Cheers Ox, getting there....slowly and learning all the way. As most of my knowledge/experience is in British road steel circa 1950-1990. I’ve really only washed/repaired punctures on a MTB so far :facepalm:

Nice to see you’ve gone down the road of having the XT logo on headset Left/Right rather than Front/Back

Not sure there’s a right nor wrong way, but always thought the logo gets lost front to back, front one obscured by the forks and cable the rear hidden by the down tube.

Is there a perceived right or wrong way ?

Retro Spud":6t0wme9l said:
Nice to see you’ve gone down the road of having the XT logo on headset Left/Right rather than Front/Back

Not sure there’s a right nor wrong way, but always thought the logo gets lost front to back, front one obscured by the forks and cable the rear hidden by the down tube.

Is there a perceived right or wrong way ?

No idea, just seamed the correct way to do it.... kind of guessed that it would look odd with one at the back. :?

Another question ......if I may

How are you going to run cantilever brakes when your fork has no brake bridge ?

It clearly predates V. brakes so I’m intrigued as to your cunning plan

Retro Spud:1f2q5sb9 said:
Another question ......if I may

How are you going to run cantilever brakes when your fork has no brake bridge ?

It clearly predates V. brakes so I’m intrigued as to your cunning plan

No problem, Magura hydraulics on this old girl :D

although I bought some slightly newer and a tad more showey! :cool: img043.jpg 450AE391-3517-4116-8C09-7D42C9CE1579.jpeg 4CE8BDEE-DAA0-409F-8330-C6D24A7214CD.jpeg

Last edited:

I read somewhere manufacturers had the headset logo's on the sides for catalogue shots

love those brakes, look in really good condition too.

Re: Re:

Retro Spud":zp2e4ht2 said:
:oops: Must engage brain

I commented on those brakes earlier in the thread :facepalm:

No worries, but please keep chipping in as although I've stripped and re-built many bikes over the years, my retro MTB knowledge is being fed every day by you guys...

Latest posts

Back