1991 Rocky Mountain Cirrus

Found a rigid fork somewhere. Maybe spray paint this one red? I also fixed the Amp fork. The circlips on the main shaft were missing. But more problematic, the groove for one of the circlips was worn out. I drilled a hole, tapped M4 threads and found a nice stainless bolt. Now the shaft stays in place. But for now, I'm riding the rigid fork.
p5pb25029891.jpg

Last edited:
most likely a 91, as in 92 they switched over to using a red maple leaf instead of their logo for the tubing decal. also your serial number is YA0 so made in 1990. if a 92, then would prob be YA1 instead. if it was a 90 model, their first year, it would have a 27.0 seatpost instead of a 30.4.

i've had an amp fork on mine since day 1. built up from new that way and still have it on since. ;)

@RockiMnt: your Cirrus was the inspiration to go with the AMP fork, what a beauty. How do you maintain your fork? Where do you get new shafts and bushes? I saw that Amp research still exists, but is it the same company (and do they still make parts for the forks?). Because I think I need some new parts. The fork has a horrible top out and speed wobble.

i've been lucky and haven't needed to do much if anything to maintain my Amp forks on my Cirrus and Mongoose Amplifer (Amp B2) over the years. Amp Research is still in business but no longer supports their bike products having pulled out of several years back. as for parts, you'll have to find someone who either has some extras stashed away and willing to sell them, or have them fabricated. i know there has been some ppl who do have some parts and were offering them up for sale on the Amp FaceBook group. you may want to post your fork photos and ask for help there.

alternatively, if there's a lot to fix/replace, you may want to source a 2nd fork instead. i have quite a few of them so perhaps i could offer up one. but depending where you are, shipping could get really expensive. :p

oh forgot to mention, if you're finding that your fork is bottoming out too hard, you are probably heavier than the spring on the fork is rated for and you'll need a stiffer replacement spring. there was also a bottom out protector, but i took them out of all my forks as it was just a hard cylindrical plastic piece and i wasn't finding it much use for me as i'm a light rider. :p

I found a nice Cannondale P-bone vork, it came in an inconspicuous Koga Miyata Explosion 1999. The paint was badly damaged, so I cleaned it up and sprayed on some red metallic that I still had. I ordered a can of clear coat so it will shine even more. Too bad the color doesn't match the Chris King headset, I might replace that with a black one at some point.

p5pb26177904.jpg

p5pb26177905.jpg

p5pb26175558.jpg

Last edited:
Finally got some time to glue the tires on the Spinergy wheels. This is a test fit, the wheels go to my Edge.

p5pb26183814.jpg

Back