1991 Rocky Mountain Cirrus

Got the fork in yesterday. I test fitted it and it looks like the steerer is long enough to be used with a quill stem. Of course, I don't have a quill stem, so it's not ridable at the moment. So now I'm debating between getting a quill stem and use the Deore LX headset that came with the fork, or do I cut the threads from steerer and lengthen it to be used with a nice ahead set stem/headset.

p5pb24105788.jpg

p5pb24105787.jpg

p5pb24105786.jpg

p5pb24105783.jpg

But I also tried the fork in my '96 Blizzard, I think it looks better in that frame, hmm. but the pace forks are a better match period-wise for the Blizzard and the AMP fork is better for the Cirrus.

p5pb24105784.jpg

p5pb24105785.jpg

But I also tried the fork in my '96 Blizzard, I think it looks better in that frame, hmm.
I've always thought the Amp shock is perfect for an e stay frame; the suspension shape mimics the angles of the stays. But the color match on the Blizzard is lovely too

I was more referring to the skinny tubes of the fork blades, they match the skinny tubes of the steel Blizzard frame better than the thicker tubes of the alu Cirrus frame. But indeed, the angles better match the eStay frame.

Took the forks apart, sanded the fork blades and sprayed then with primer. I have to order the black paint and cut the decals (or get new ones).

p5pb24116365.jpg

p5pb24116363.jpg

p5pb24124888.jpg

Painted the fork blades black and lightly polished and cleaned the fork crown. It came out looking great. I still need to get/make decals and apply a 2K clear coat. Maybe I also need a new main pivot, there's a slight indent from wear. Also the "damper" has some issues, there seems to be no damping in the initial movement. But that might be how these forks work.

p5pb24149437.jpg

p5pb24149436.jpg

AFter cutting some decals and applying a 2K clear coat, I put the forks back in the bike. I need to adjust to the look :)

Finished fork:
p5pb24201712.jpg

In the bike (I need to shorten the steerer sometimes). I also found some Michelin 26x1.95" tires. They look really skinny.
p5pb24201713.jpg

p5pb24215190.jpg

Last edited:
Bike looks fantastic 😍 and the AMP sure look great! 😧

Maybe some of the others who know this fork can offer some advice, new/tighter circlips? Stiffer spring? I think they always had a reputation as being on the flexy side

Personally I'm a rigid fork guy with only one exception in my vintage stable

Latest posts

Back