1991 Raleigh Scorpio!

I guess the other calipers were 39-49mm drop, or "short-reach" stíles, and these exage calipers are longer reach ones. :)

Anyway, the exage calipers are really awesome, light as hell, and with decent pads they can bite!

Very nice frame and good job with the bartape as well. :) Just, slam the stem lower!

Always nice to see UG blocks on the rear wheel, though I'd check your rear hub wheter you can change the freilaufkörper to a new HG compatible one. :)

Though these UG cassettes are made to last for ages.

;)

the levers (brakes) very nice, they remind me of some modolo-model.

@kbmpi:
Thanks for your nice comment. :)
You are totally right about this "short reach" thing. After reading some Sheldon Brown article it's clear that i can't just put any brake on a road bike.
You are probably right with the stem, too. I read some where that it would be a good idea to put the stem in the highest possible position for fitting the cables and everyting instead of a low position. That way there will be no problems with too short cable housings when i'll adjust the height of the stem to my real riding position. Still got no clue what that might be tough. :D
While servicing the rear hub i took the whole thing apart. I guess it would be possile to install a HG compatible cassette body but after cleaning the UG cassette for an hour or two i got the impression - like you said - that these are made to last. So i will try and find a useful chain for it.
I researched the net a bit about my brake levers. These are made by Universal and are called AER and branded F.Moser. The same ones were also used by Ofmega and Colnago.
Modolo had some levers called Orion that look pretty much the same.

I'm impressed by how well this cleaned up. Are you sure it's the same as the brochure you posted?

You can find out what size brake you need by measuring from the bolt-hole to the middle of the brake surface of the rim. But I wouldn't worry too much, what you've got are pretty good especially compared to say wienmanns, and nobody died from using them.

@Bats:
Thanks for the advice how to measure the reach of the brakes. You are right. I will keep them.
What makes you think it is not the same bike as in the brochure? I guess they had the same problems like everyone with taking pics of that neon colour. Apart from that it was pretty much exactly catalogue spec.
Also the 1991 stamp on the original handlebars make me think it is exactly the same as in the brochure.

I think the brakes you've got must have been put on by the old owner - looks like wienmanns are on the brochure.

Very nice looking machine. Sure to upset the 531 snobs but it's lovely.

@Bats: You are right again. :) When i got the bike from its original owner i thought he said to me he got new brake blocks for it but he really said he got new brakes. Brake levers and brakes were original from Weinmann and i'm happy that they are gone. Hopefully that doesn't make me an Exage Action snob. :D

Today i ordered a purple seatpost, a white Turbo saddle, a front mech clamp and an UG chain.
Can't wait till all this stuff arrives. This should be finished when the first real snow arrives over here, too.. Nice timing. :)

The missing parts arrived today. :)
Got a Selle Italia Turbo saddle, a Shimano CN-UG51 chain, a 28,6mm Problem Solvers braze-on derailleur clamp and a 25,4mm purple Borita FP-104 seatpost.
Hopefully i'll find some time at the weekend to put it all together...

b0192758d48d36b11a3f1209cbe41801_zpsc57ddb4d.jpg

I had one of these in the early nineties, bought it second hand for £50 from a bike shop in Redruth. Same colours as yours and I think it is a love it or hate it colour scheme. I loved it! I have been looking out for one with decent paint to fix up and use, just for old times sake! Keep up the good work!

Re:

Had some time during the weekend so i did what had to be done and finished this build.
There were quite some things left to do.

I cleaned the Shimano 600 chainrings and put the clipless pedals back into the shoebox where these came from.
I won't be buying any shoes for this project so these pedals are useless to me.
Instead i attached some VP's with some neon yellow Specialized clips and some fine black leather Italian Super Sport straps.

After that the Shimano 600 front mech found its way onto the bike with its new adapter clamp and so did the new chain.
The fiddling with the mechs was pretty straight forward but you guessed it the adjustment of the brakes took me some time. After completely taking them apart, lubing them and putting them back together i got there in the end.

The only thing left to do was fitting the new seat post and adjusting the new Turbo Saddle.

Since the weather was sunny around here this saturday i took this beauty for a quick spin around the block and i have to say road bike riding is a dangerous task.
But i will have plenty of time to learn how to ride this Raleigh Scorpio at full speed, while shifting and with no hand near any brake lever. The one girl who talked me into taking part in this team triathlon which this bike was built for got pregnant and the other one is moving away in a month. So i'll have to find some new partners to win this upcoming competition.
On the other hand i feel like i already won something by exploring this part of our forum which i hadn't checked into during the last 4 years.
I had some good times building this and i'm more than happy with the way this bike came along since i got it last year.
Things left to do: Buy some lycra shorts..... :facepalm:

Back