1991 Alpinestars Ti-Mega build - my unicorn!

Re: Another one coming. Unicorn level Alpinestars...

mattb":18tu617x said:
I'm sure it'll be fine. Didn't the team run Campy on their bikes for a while?

Oooo nice, now queue the budget going way north of silly.

Would be something to behold and personally never seen a Alpinestars wearing Campy, I'm sure they're out there thought.

mattb":3lwwjbbf said:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=337508&hilit=show+your+campy&start=10

Well that didn't take long.....after setting myself up :facepalm:

Okay everyone move on now, nothing else to see here :oops:

:LOL:

Sorry mate....
I'm sure I read that shimano refused to give alpinestars free xtr for the team bikes so they went the campy route,not sure which year though

Retro Spud":2hb87gu6 said:
Well that didn't take long.....after setting myself up :
Okay everyone move on now, nothing else to see here :oops:
:LOL:
Haha, well that's you told Spud! :LOL:

mattb":2hb87gu6 said:
I'm sure it'll be fine. Didn't the team run Campy on their bikes for a while?
mattb":2hb87gu6 said:
Sorry mate....
I'm sure I read that shimano refused to give alpinestars free xtr for the team bikes so they went the campy route,not sure which ynear though
Campag only featured in the two brochure builds, without being referenced. If you look closely at the inset photos of the Ti Mega, in both 91 and 92 brochures, they're built on Campy. I guess that's because Alpinestars are Italian, but the money men (or Shimano men!) made sure the production bikes and racers used Shimano exclusively. Curious thing that. And remember, the Ti Mega was not available as a full bike, only frame only or frameset, so customers could (had to) build them with whatever they wanted.
And from your second comment, I've not heard that, but it sounds like the Yeti story, only backwards!
I had briefly toyed with a Campy build but it's far too expensive for me in NOS variety which I like, I know little about it (so I could easily end up with totally period incorrect and mixed group parts) and I actually want to ride it :LOL: Oh, and the small matter of having a full NOS M900 group to go on it.
I've decided I'm doing a Tim Davies-esque build, circa 1992 spec. I could go for the MBUK feature spec with Manitou2 but to make life easier I'm going to go with Tim's final spec iteration which was running RS Mag 20s. It'll have full M900, silver Mavic M231 (handy, as that's what I've got already), Avocet O2 Ti saddle, Ritchey Megabite Z-Max, M737 SPDs. I've even got an Avocet!
The only two things I'm struggling with - three in fact - are:
•A 27.2mm black A-stars seatpost or M900 XTR
•An Alpinestars/Litespeed titanium stem (I'll probably go with a Zoom - similar colour, readily available in 1 ¼", and in my preferred reach of 120mm, not TD's berserk stretched-out, roadie style position, 160mm stem!)
•Control Stix bar ends

Everything else is sorted. Oh, and 92 spec decals, so I need to tap Gil up. The 91s (pictured in first post) will be spare.

Either this:

Or like this:

Great stuff Regan,those monster 160mm stems are still available NOS

Well I can tell that you quite like these particular bicycles. Do you have a 'back in the day....' type story to share as to why?

The History Man":yixn2a62 said:
Well I can tell that you quite like these particular bicycles. Do you have a 'back in the day....' type story to share as to why?
Very diligent and observant of you young man ;)
Why yes, yes I do. Click on the 91 DX build link in my sig* and all will become clear from the first paragraph which also contains a link to my very first post, fully explaining my love and affinity to the curved seat tubed, oversized, elevated, crack-prone, neon-coloured machines! :D

* If you can't be arsed to read all that, in summary, basically I had one as a kid after falling in love with an Al Mega DX and nagging my parents who struggled to afford one, but bought it anyway for Christmas in the end-of-season sale, that I loved, rode practically every day, raced (a few times, was crap, so just went back to adventure riding), and eventually broke it at a time when I started learning to drive, chasing tail, smoking too many fags and drinking too much beer and never went back to it. (That's as concise a summary as I can manage I'm afraid! :oops:)

Nice. I do believe that most of us look at our bicycles through the eyes of our sixteen year-old selves.

The History Man":1pewzl61 said:
Nice. I do believe that most of us look at our bicycles through the eyes of our sixteen year-old selves.
Penny Farthings for you then :LOL:

Back