1990 Ritchey Ultra Rescue

This was rideable for awhile. I couldn't true the front wheel though because the nipples were seized. I decided replacing them all was the next step in my gradual rennovation, but they're in a pretty bad state and I haven't managed to remove an of the yet. The narrow sections where a spoke key fits are corroded and crumble when I try to use them to turn the nipple, but the thicker top parts are not showing any signs of falling apart. I've not been able to move any of those yet with a screwdriver. I don't have any better anti-seize at the moment than WD40, so maybe getting some penetrating oil is the next attempt.

Any suggestions welcomed.

This was rideable for awhile. I couldn't true the front wheel though because the nipples were seized. I decided replacing them all was the next step in my gradual rennovation, but they're in a pretty bad state and I haven't managed to remove an of the yet. The narrow sections where a spoke key fits are corroded and crumble when I try to use them to turn the nipple, but the thicker top parts are not showing any signs of falling apart. I've not been able to move any of those yet with a screwdriver. I don't have any better anti-seize at the moment than WD40, so maybe getting some penetrating oil is the next attempt.

Any suggestions welcomed.
When nipples are seized I just grind the spokes off. I’ve tried many times on a wheel to get spokes loose when seized but it just doesn’t work. You can’t really re use spike nipples anyway so unless you really want to keep the spokes. that would be my way.

Can you grab either side of the nipple head or it is recessed?
If lucky you may be able to crush the head with mole grips.

When nipples are seized I just grind the spokes off. I’ve tried many times on a wheel to get spokes loose when seized but it just doesn’t work. You can’t really re use spike nipples anyway so unless you really want to keep the spokes. that would be my way.
I want to re-use the spokes if at all possible. This bike is meant to become my undercover runaround, so I don't want to attract attention with flashy new spokes. I have some used nipples to go with them if I can save the spokes.

Can you grab either side of the nipple head or it is recessed?
If lucky you may be able to crush the head with mole grips.
Unfortunately they are recessed (Ritchey rims) and even thin nosed pliers might not be easy. The spokes come quite far up the nipple too, so they might get in the way if I tried to chisel a deeper slot for a bigger screwdriver.

Back