1990 Ritchey Ultra Rescue

kingoffootball

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
What's wrong with me? I have no space for projects at the moment - to the point I will soon be selling off some parts and probably at least one bike I would otherwise keep - and resisted an Arthur Caygill in my size when it came up despite looking out for one for many years ......... but

..... this came up on Ebay and I couldn't resist taking a punt on the opening bid. I resisted starting a thread before it was collected, but @Carge has picked it up for me this morning. Not the first time he's helped me out with a collection, so I need to find a way to repay the kindness.

I do love a mystery.

The question is, could it be a Ritchey? I'm not an expert, but there's a few features that made me think it could be. I'm certainly not counting on it and won't be disappointed if it isn't.

Poss Ritchey Ebay.jpg

Any opinions?

Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
What I've noticed so far......

It's pretty light
XT chainset, hubs and rear mech - M730 or M732.
Rims could be Ritchey - blue label?
Very rough brushed on black paint job
Top of the range spiders webs and nests - better get it out of the car :oops:

Do you want me to look at owt else or would you rather have the surprise?

I reckon it’s a decent frame, looking at the parts and what details can be ‘guessed’ from the photos. Love a mystery so signing in for updates.

Ritchey headset
Ritchey Force bars
Ritchey seatpost - also not stuck.
Tyres are Ritchey Overdrive - and falling to bits.

BB could be interesting - six holes like a Hope. Doesn't look like a Titec or Syncros.

What I've noticed so far......

It's pretty light
XT chainset, hubs and rear mech - M730 or M732.
Rims could be Ritchey - blue label?
Very rough brushed on black paint job
Top of the range spiders webs and nests - better get it out of the car :oops:

Do you want me to look at owt else or would you rather have the surprise?

That sounds like a good start .... I always need a few more spiders 😂

Feel free to poke around at it or not as you prefer :D

You thinking 1989ish Ritchey?
Dropouts make it this sort of year, early and it would be a Ubrake, a bit later and the dropouts would be different.
That's roughly what I thought it could be. From the photo, the forks didn't look right to me, but cluster and dropouts seemed about right.

Ritchey headset
Ritchey Force bars
Ritchey seatpost - also not stuck.
Tyres are Ritchey Overdrive - and falling to bits.

BB could be interesting - six holes like a Hope. Doesn't look like a Titec or Syncros.

All sounds positive (I wasn't counting on using the tyres!) Great to hear the seatpost isn't stuck, since I decided not to bother trying to find that out from the seller beforehand. I have a Hope BB tool, so hopefully will be able to get that out.

BB holes are a bit smaller than a Hope, having compared side by side

EDE1AE42-1019-4253-A507-0A7CD2227C40.jpeg

Deffo signs of white under the black
4D6B8D3D-7079-40BD-AEAD-34441E12C968.jpeg

Can’t see any serial no
No Ritchey on the dropouts
Seat tube is oval used at the BB

Back