1990 Ritchey Ultra Rescue

- snip- but there's a risk I get to a point where I feel I can't live with such a bad paint job any longer -snip-
Well if it´s not the original paint (it looks quite dull in the pics?) I would not hesitate to give it a respray. The quite subdued Ultra paintjobs do look much better when sparkling.

And great save BTW, I love resurrection stories.

Having taken it for a ride down the road to check the minimum required to make it rideable, I did the minimum required to make it rideable:
* repaired the slow puncture in the front tube
* stole one of the limit screws from the rear mech for the front mech and set them both to keep it in big ring and about the third highest gear at the back
* added a middle ring at the front (bolts were too long without and took the number of chainring bolts up from two to five
* disassembled and correctly re-assembled the rear canti that was jammed against the rim
* tightened the very loose headset
* lubed the chain
* added grips (probably not essential, but more comfortable)

Then took it for a test ride to the pub (about 8 miles there and a little longer back to get off the roads for awhile).

Back from Larkins (1).JPG

Given it still needs a lot doing, not least the wheel bearings servicing, I was surprised how nicely it rode. It goes to show how much difference a frame makes - I feel this one suits me, so I definitely plan to replace my current all-purpose bike with this.

Last edited:
Having taken it for a ride down the road to check the minimum required to make it rideable, I did the minimum required to make it rideable:
* repaired the slow puncture in the front tube
* stole one of the limit screws from the rear mech for the front mech and set them both to keep it in big ring and about the third highest gear at the back
* added a middle ring at the front (bolts were too long without and took the number of chainring bolts up from two to five
* disassembled and correctly re-assembled the rear canti that was jammed against the rim
* tightened the very loose headset
* lubed the chain
* added grips (probably not essential, but more comfortable)

Then took it for a test ride to the pub (about 8 miles there and a little longer back to get off the roads for awhile).

View attachment 761368

Given it still needs a lot doing, not least the wheel bearings servicing, I was surprised how nicely it rode. It goes to show how much difference a frame makes - I feel this one suits me, so I definitely plan to replace my current all-purpose bike with this.
Ritchey geometry from the era is very different from 90s bikes. I like 80s bikes.

Did they get home?

This bike popped round mine today, it's a nice bike, excellent brushed effect black paint finish.

The rear tyre made it home no problems ..... maybe I can get a few more miles out of it 😂

Having said they weren't slippery on the road, I lost the front end trying to take a corner too fast on the way home. With a great deal of luck, I managed to catch it before I caught some road rash.

I was going to look for some all-purpose replacement tyres, but I think I have some Vittoria tyres I haven't ever tried that I might put on for now.

Thank you for all the help with the stuck parts on my projects!

Back