1990 Ritchey Ultra Rescue

Did the seller give you and accurate measurement? If no - would you like one?

No, I bought it wthout ny contact with the eller beforehand and afterwards only contacted them to arrange collection 😂

A seat tube measurement would be helpful. Ritchey measured C-T and I am going to guess it's 20".

Spot on 20” C-T
Top tube is 22.5” C-C

Was the Ultra done in a pearlescent white? Caught a sticker as I flipped it over - it’s a pearl white under there

I think so. I think the Ultra came in pearl white or black - I don't remember seeing any other colours.

Thank you. I should be able to make that size work then. Same top tube and just 1/2" less seat tube than my Richter 8.0

Well, I haven't had a chance to had a good look at this yet, but pretty certain it's a 1990 Ritchey Ultra. It has a ding on the downtube, but no other obvious problems.

The missing components are the shifters, grips and the middle chain ring.

Aside from that, the only components that don't match the original specification are the rear QR, where the original XT has been replaced with something cheap and one or both the innertubes.

I forgot to mention the drive pedal is missing, replaced with a plastic one.

The original chainring bolts are gone and there are only a couple holding the top ring in place. The front derailleur is missing its limit screws. The rear derailleur is missing the barrel adjuster. The original brake pads have been replaced with Kool Stops.

I may take it for a single speed spin if I can find a screw to hold the front mech in place and repair or replace the front innertube which disappointingly seems to have a slow puncture.

1688715610291.png

Added here as chrome gives cert errors.

Though from the original picture, no grips and shifter was an easy guess ;-)

So either get some XT thumbies or go trendy STI M090/091 down the Options path as pushed-pushed in the Shimano catalogues (as they completely omit thumbies from it)

Unless you're going freestyle build.

Also, as noted earlier by Carge, the bottom bracket is a (sealed bearing by the look of it) Tioga one, whereas the original should have been XTII.

In terms of build, I definitely intend to begin by getting it rideable using as much of the original kit as possible and then gradually service parts and replace any as necessary. The paint fits in with that plan, but there's a risk I get to a point where I feel I can't live with such a bad paint job any longer.

Current weight is 11 kg / 24 lb 3 oz, down from the catalogue weight of 25.5 thanks to the missing parts!

Last edited:
Back