1990 Mammoth RC201

Retro Spud":3ui5lcru said:
I bought a Real Bottom Bracket that used spacers see viewtopic.php?t=85221

Would this be a solution ? If so let me know

I saw one of those on eBay last night and it looked promising.

I just found one without the bearings - perfect! - but it's only 115mm. I'm not sure this is going to work with an XT crank. I think I'll need at least 122mm if not 127mm.

if you're going with an old XT crank (m730-5) then you will prob need at least 122.5mm axle.

Time for some more pictures.

I shined them up as best I could. Unfortunately one set of pads are totally done. Also done - the lower pulley on the derailleur. I can probably cannibalize it from my inventory.

As I was composing this, my handlebar arrived.

It's definitely NOS, never been installed on a bike, but the logo is scuffed up.

Also, I got some sleeves for the internal cable routing, and that came with a little bonus.

So I guess I can decorate it with LUCKY WISHES now. BE HAPPY Yay!

Attachments

• 20140106_071653.jpg
    20140106_071653.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 839
  • 20140106_122849.jpg
    20140106_122849.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 839
  • 20140106_122015.jpg
    20140106_122015.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 839
someone here just posted a link to this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301078617927

$_57.JPG

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Quick updates on the part acquisition phase.

Firstly, what must have passed for DH wheels back in the day?

ATAK hubs on SUN CR-17A with Ringle skewers. Looks like they're made with 2.0 straight gauge spokes - and they're not light. But they are dead straight, and super smooth - which is a score for the price I paid. A few weeks ago I picked up a Kona Reaction skinwall at a thrift shop for $2, so I can go with that and a Ground Control, or the Ritchey Megabites I have, or the Smoke/Dart combo - which are newer period-wise, but they're in brand new condition.

Next up are the bits I scavenged off a very sad Fisher.

That's a Nitto made stem, a Spinner fork (not pictured), and an XT headset. Which you may have noticed, is broken. The crown race came off with one tap and it was probably only the dirt that was keeping it in place. Now, I've had an FSA headset in the past that came with a crown race that had a break in it, presumably for ease of installation. It had cartridge bearings though, so I don't know if this old unit with work properly with ball-and-cage bearings.

I have a Campagnolo to use if this doesn't work, but I'd have to knock it out of another bike.

I began stripping paint off today too, but didn't get a picture of that. It looks good though, so leaving it raw is feeling like a possibility. Also, a guy I've known for years that's been in the printing/graphics industry says his company recently got a vinyl cutter, so locally sourced decals are a go.

Thanks again to Frank for the logo and name decal he whipped up a while back.

I'm left now with the BB. I'll probably have to bite the bullet and buy the Phil Wood spindle, which is expensive but undoubtedly the highest quality option. Somewhere I found someone that makes collars that can be used to help with centering it, I just need to find that web page again.

I'm building this, a Dekerf, a Blizzard, redoing my wife's bike, and whatever I can slap together for the bike swap in May, so I'll be busy.

Attachments

• 20140218_231226.jpg
    20140218_231226.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 781
  • 20140309_121444.jpg
    20140309_121444.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 781
aguycalled80":1ppg8k1h said:
Retro Spud":1ppg8k1h said:
I bought a Real Bottom Bracket that used spacers see viewtopic.php?t=85221

Would this be a solution ? If so let me know

I saw one of those on eBay last night and it looked promising.

I just found one without the bearings - perfect! - but it's only 115mm. I'm not sure this is going to work with an XT crank. I think I'll need at least 122mm if not 127mm.

Have you gotten any further with the BB axle. Saw this in another thread. Perhaps this is the solution you can use on your Mammoth:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=286957&start=41

I have a spare axle for the Mantis. Not sure how long it is, but you're welcome to it if you think you can get collars made up to look the bearings in place and it's the length you need. I'll dig it up and confirm the length if I find the time later tonite.

RockiMtn":3t3tofz7 said:
Oops that was meant to be a PM. ;) :LOL:

No worries!

What I had found recently on eBay is this old SunTour BB;

It has a collar on it, and I think c-clips holding it in place, which is perfect - if the distance between the bearings match what I need for the Mammoth.

The seller was very good about measuring it, but I never did measure my frame to see if it would fit - I've been too wrapped up in house renos lately. But, I've seen another come up, at 1/3 the cost of a Phil Wood spindle, so this might be the way to go.

That Action-Tec would definitely work if I could find one. And I'm positive I found a bearing supply site that sells those little collars, but I've lost the bookmark.

I've also been looking for set screws (or grub screws if you're from the UK) for a set of Avid Tri-dangles I have. Anyone know what size they take? There are lots on ebay, but I can't quite figure out what size they are.

Just remembered the last thing I need - a 26.8 post. It's gotta be black.

Attachments

• Fullscreen capture 01042014 92615 PM.jpg
    Fullscreen capture 01042014 92615 PM.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 679
Back