1990 Mammoth RC201

Re: An early, elevated, Christmas present.

Super cool frame with great attention to detail. Good score.

Are you going full rigid or front sus?

Even the name is cool! Like it very much subscript for build tread!

I'd really like to put a Manitou on it. Or a Manitou 2 - that's the best looking vintage fork in my book.

But, if I can find a Switchblade or a Bontrager fork (there was one on eBay last week), I'd be happy with that too.

At a guess id say cantilever, which would point toward the age. But it would make a hell of a Christmas present if it was a U-brake.

from memory with an Xt build based around their rigid fork option, it built into quite a lightweight e-stay at roughly 26lbs.

:cool:

miliu":158opxla said:
I saw this (not mine)
I like the polished frame a lot
11352430524_ef29b2ccc0_b.jpg

Is this one not owned by a member here...? :?

I guess you may have seen some of this, but if not it may help with your decals...? and for others who may come across one for sale.

Attachments

• Mammoth-rc201 1991.jpg
    Mammoth-rc201 1991.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 408
  • Mammoth-rc201 tracker-mountain-bike.jpg
    Mammoth-rc201 tracker-mountain-bike.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 408
  • Mammoth-rc201-mountain-bike-mammoth race jersey.jpg
    Mammoth-rc201-mountain-bike-mammoth race jersey.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 407
  • mammoth.jpg
    mammoth.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 406
  • HEADBADGE.jpg
    HEADBADGE.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 408

It's definitely made for cantilever brakes, so that won't be a problem. Though I found most of the bits of a U-brake I had from my old Rocky.

Unfortunately I don't have any fork to even mock it up with. I'll need a fork with a roughly 8" steerer.

I know Phil Wood makes spindles to fit this type of BB, but I'm sure I saw a picture of a spindle with a collar bolted on it, so you could properly space it. That makes sense, because you'd press one bearing in, fit the C-clip, then the spindle would push the bearing back out to snug up against the C-clip, and the second bearing is pushed in until it hits the collar.

But, where does one get that collar from?

I've not been able to even budge the bearings in my Fisher - I'd have a better idea if I could get that out.

Back