1989 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt DL

Thanks!
So I've been thinking about what the DL stands for, and going through the past catalogues I've come up with a theory:
I know the DL option came with Tantalus as well, and I think the DL was only offered in 88 and 89.
My best guess is short for "Deluxe". The 88 Tantalus DL was the option with better parts and Tange Prestige frame. In 89 the Tange Prestige frame was also an upgrade option for the Thunderbolt/Tantalus,
so maybe all the ones with Tange Prestige were labeled "DL" and the ones with Tange 4130 were the regular Thunderbolts...what do you think??

OOOOoooohhhhh... Nice!!! That stem looks familliar =)

I have the same one... came on my Fat City Flyer

Attachments

• file-1.jpg
    file-1.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 1,058
The restoration begins! I've removed most of the rust and cleaned up the scratches and marks to the clear coat & paint and now it's ready for some touch up paint. There is some extensive rust bubbling under the paint along the seat stay :cry: ...but I decided not to strip the paint because I want to keep it as original as possible, and it would be hard to make the repair look good (its a large area). I'm hoping that the dry climate here will prevent it from worsening too much.

The plan for the build is Shimano XT, and keep the suntour Rollercams on the back. If I find a 1" fillet brazed fork for it, I would be happy to use it. :D Otherwise I'm thinking about using some mag 30's or mag 21's, or maybe a set of RS1's if I can find some.

Attachments

• ThunderboltDL6.jpg
    ThunderboltDL6.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 945
  • ThunderboltDL7.jpg
    ThunderboltDL7.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 945
  • ThunderboltDL4.jpg
    ThunderboltDL4.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 944
  • ThunderboltDL5.jpg
    ThunderboltDL5.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 946
That is a sweet schema; understated but very of the era. Compared to the 89 Cinder Cone splatter (red yellow) this is much, much nicer.

Re:

Very nice! The pros closet has a set if Rs1 forks on eBay right now. How about a steel roller cam fork? This would look awesome with front and rear roller can brakes.

The coolness of the front rollercam would disguise the face that you have a Tig welded fork.

I would go for a rigid fork just because of the frame era

Re:

Just awesome :cool:

Back