1989 Marin Eldridge Grade

BerkeleySquare

Retro Newbie
I recently found this web site and you guys inspired me to bring out my old 1989 Marin Eldridge Grade Mountain Bike.

I purchased the bike when I completed college and rode all over the Berkeley/Oakland Hills and Marin Headlands. It was a fantastic ride back in the day. However, domestic life shifted the bike into the garage in the 2000s and rarely came out.

I recently got back into mountain biking in my 50s via an electric MTB and have really enjoyed getting back on the trails. Now, that I am somewhat back into MTB shape and through the inspiration of this site, I dusted off the bike and gave it a thorough detailing. Everything is original on this bike and much of the equipment is good working order. I was surprised to see very little to no rust.

Today, I took it to Joaquin Miller Park in the Oakland Hills for a test ride. Wow, the light weight of the bike made climbing almost as easy as the eMTB (almost). I forgot how rough it is without any shocks. The geometry and ride positioning is so different than modern MTBs. You really feel the trail and have to really bounce and groove with rocks and roots.

Would I ride this old friend all the time. Not really. However, it really brought me back to my younger years and feeling of actually riding the trails.

Here are the original specs of the bike:

http://classiccycleus.com/home/1989-mar ... idge-grade

Here is a picture I took at Joaquin Miller Park in Oakland

Attachments

• IMG_4590.jpg
    IMG_4590.jpg
    567.2 KB · Views: 1,164
Re:

Never ridden an e-bike.. heresy around these parts! However I know what you mean when comparing a modern full suss to a rigid bike, espec if you’ve gotten used to the former.

You have to relearn how to ride - with a rigid bike you need to be physically much more fluid on the bike and cognisant of the trail. Keeps your skills fresh though.

Re:

Lovely bike and great story. One point though, isn't it a 90 model year? LX kit would say so as in 89 it was called Mountain LX and I thought the Eldridge was a new model name for 90? Could have been bought in 89 though.

Either way, ace bike. :cool:

eMTBs are very controversial, however if it wasn't for my eMTB I wouldn't have been able to get out to the trails again at my age.

If it wasn't for my eMTB I would not have have been able to get back into shape and retrain my old muscles to point where I could ride my vintage marin MTB with confidence again.

I wish I was in my 20s again so I did need an eMTB, however once you hit your mid 50s, knees and joints just can't handle the strain. An eMTB allows me to get up the hills without damaging myself. I think most older guys like me only use the power assist on the ascents.

Re:

Thanks for the clarification. The reach is too far and low for my old body. Do you think if I Upgrade the stem and rise the bars up 50-60 mm it would ruin the bike?

Nice bike, though I am pretty sure it is a 1991. It has the constant diameter "Afterburner" seat stays which came out in 1991 and it is the "Matt Black with Neon Green Lug" colour that was offered alongside a "Neon Yellow with Neon Pink Splatter" in the US in 1991. Models from 1990 and before would have had seat stays that tapered to the dropout. Check out the 1991 US catalogue on here:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... 1.pdf.html

The bike in the link you put does not have the original stem or shifters.

Enjoy riding it!

Re:

Yeah Egg, you are right, the thicker seat stays were 91 on.

It'll be fine with risers and a different stem. May as well make it comfy!

Back