1989 Giant Escaper (another tip rescue!)

I’ve just picked up my own ‘89 Giant Escaper after a long slog on the Elizabeth Line out to Brentwood. I couldn’t resist that colour scheme! Mostly original it seems bar the saddle (which is off an old Muddyfox). It seems this model came with flatter bars so I wonder if the person who originally bought the bike wanted a more relaxed ride and had them swapped out for these ones, which are pretty swept back. They’re nice Sakae bars which seem of a similar era.

Feel very excited for this one after reading this thread!

Attachments

• C94B6DA9-3A94-4331-A576-20B6FBB061E6.jpeg
    C94B6DA9-3A94-4331-A576-20B6FBB061E6.jpeg
    620.6 KB · Views: 20
Love it, yours has the bottle cage also ::D Like you say, definitely not the original bars. I've swapped mine out for an old Azonic set actually, slightly wider but mainly wanted a bit of rise which they provide nicely.

What's the plan with yours, commuter or put her back on the trails?

Yep I was chuffed about that! I've ordered some replacement bars already to get this back closer to its original setup (albeit a bit wider and with some rise, like what you've gone for). Need some new grips as well.

She'll be a commuter and general run-about, at least initially - I don't get a chance to hit the trails much where I'm based at the moment, but I will try to find something more adventurous so she can have a proper run-out. Pleased to hear how well yours handles! Mine is absolutely filthy so I'll return with an update once I've given it a proper clean and inspected the parts.

These Giant OEM bottle cages must be pretty darned good (or the loctite they used was even better!) as that's now 3 in a row with it still present! :)

I'd give a +1 to purple ODI locking grips, they're super cheap, comfy and look the part (plus end is capped off so no need to find something to prevent getting "core sampled" in an off.

Bike's currently filthy after some wet trails so no pic but they tie in really nice with the pink/mauve of the stickers.

Back